Hi

For some reason my computer will not allow new usb devices to just automatically work. It will always ask for software, which it cant find.

Ive recently tried using my new digital camera (an olympus Mini) and I plug it in, the computers beeps 3 times quickly (the beep sound is one where Windows detects a USB device) then it says found new hardware....it wants the software....searches for it....cant find it... Ive used other Olympus cameras on it and other computers and they work fine, it also works on my laptop, but not this 1!

whats going on?

Thanks

Dave

Computer Dell Dimensions 2400
2.6Ghz
Crappy on board graphics card
256Mb
Windows XP Home
Service Pack 1
Camera is an Olympus Mini, but I have other SLIGHTLY older ones that worked a while ago.

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

try installing the software. my brother had a similar problem with his kodak digital camera until i noticed that there was no sign of a software program. when i installed the drivers it worked fine

Just check that your USB drivers have no problems. Go - Control panel - System - hardware tab - device manager.

Under USB controllers check for any ? or ! signs, and update the drivers for them, just let Windows automatically sort it out.

This can clear any USB related problems, but I agree with Janine, some camera's just automatically hook up, some need the drivers.

Any plug and play device will show in device manager, so check it out there, once connected, maybe it needs enabling, or will detail any problems.

right, I have problems with your suggestions, you cant download drivers for the camera for XP becasue it SHOULD just automatically work, but doesnt.

So ive borrowed a friends external card reader, plugged it in, XP detects new hardware....and wants to install drivers, looks for them,cant find them!

Ive looked on the companies website and read the manual, and drivers arnt availiable for it becasue yet again, it should just work!

What the hell is going on?? XP just wont automatically make devices work anymore, it always asks for software, which is these cases, arnt availiable!

Dave

hmmm odd...

so you've ruled out the possibilities of it being your usb ports by using your mates card reader. have you tried another cable- mabe the cable's faulty or maybe the camera itself is faulty. it could also be that it does need some kind of software driver just that olympus havent noted it in their website

try this website
http://simplythebest.net/drivers/digital_camera_drivers.html

also this one and go to software downloads

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_digital.asp

there should be something there. if not ask their customer services through the product support link. there might be an omission somewhere:cool:

Did you check that there were no problems with the drivers for the USB ports.

For example, when I build some new PCs, I have to update drivers for the ports themselves, before which I can use any USB device.

Just a thought.

Did you check that there were no problems with the drivers for the USB ports.

For example, when I build some new PCs, I have to update drivers for the ports themselves, before which I can use any USB device.

Just a thought.

and a very good and valid one:)

Hello,

It is always good policy to update the device drivers before adding / doing anything else. When I build a machine, I first install the OS, then I update all of the device drivers (from the web, not the CD-ROM) and then go chase down the Windoze drivers. Then I start installing applications.

Christian

Hello,

It is always good policy to update the device drivers before adding / doing anything else. When I build a machine, I first install the OS, then I update all of the device drivers (from the web, not the CD-ROM) and then go chase down the Windoze drivers. Then I start installing applications.

Christian

Me too!!! in fact it is my policy;)

hey guys, sorry about the lack of feedback from me I didnt get emails until now telling me bout this post being updated.

SO, the drivers for the USB ports? How would I find them? Ive been looking for the motherboard my computer has and cant find it. I ahve a dell dimensions 2400 (yes dont laugh, i built my own ones but when it broke he was gettin fed up with it and got me this without me knowing and threw my old one!Argh!my old one was better than this 1!) Ive had it for about 7 months maybe and other devices have working in the past.anyway, ye, so im not sure what motherboard it has? And to clarify, it is the motherboard make i need to find to update the USB port drivers right?

Using those websites someone suggested didnt work, there are no drivers availiable!

It may be useful to read the following. These are 4 emials sent/recieved from olynpus tech support. Ive tried all there suggestions so far but to no avail.

MY FIRST ONE:

>Hi,
>
>My computer is not working with my camera. I connect the camera to the
computer and it should come up as a removeable harddrive but doesnt. Im
compitant with computers and have other olympus cameras but this one has gone
beyond me. I need the driver software for windows XP, but its not availiable
becasue it should just work! but doesnt. It works on other computers, just not
mine.
>
>SO in short, i need the drivers for XP for a olympus mini, but are they even
availiable? And why doesnt it work?
>
>THanks
>
>Dave

THERE REPLY

Dear Mr. Leighton

Thank you for your e-mail concerning your ƒÊ-mini DIGITAL.

No driver is required to download images from ƒÊ-mini DIGITAL to
your computer (WindowsXP), since ƒÊ-mini DIGITAL supports the
USB storage class (Auto connect camera).

In order to solve your problem, please follow the procedure below.

1) Make sure that you can see images on the camera's LCD monitor.

2) Turn your camera off.

3) Connect the USB cable (the flat plug) to the USB port on your computer.
*Connect the USB cable directly to your computer without USB-HUB.
*If you have more than one USB port, try the other port.

4) Connect the USB cable (the smaller plug) to your camera.

5) Select [PC] on the camera's LCD monitor.

6) Your camera is automatically recognized as [Removable Disk] in the
[My Computer]. Make sure that the Removable Disk appears in My Computer.
Image files are stored in the [100OLYMP] folder as follows.
"My Computer" > "Removable Disk" > "DCIM" > "100OLYMP"

7) If the Removable Disk does not appears, please refer to the following
web site to check the Device Manager.

When the camera is recognized properly, device names such as following
should be appeared in the Device Manager.

[Disk drives] -> [OLYMPUS <name of your camera>]
[Storage volumes] -> [Generic volume]
[Universal Serial Bus controllers] -> [USB Mass Storage Device]

If there is no such device names, please follow the procedure at the
following web site to uninstall the device, and scan for hardware changes.

<How to check the Device Manager>
http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/qa/contents/03b/di100003e.cfm#devmgr

If you still have problem, please let us know the result of above procedure,
any error messages, and detailed information.

Thank you.

MY REPLY

>Hello again
>I followed the instructions you gave me and still cannot get it to work. I
followed the instructions on that link you gave me and that has not been
sucessful. heres waht happened:
>1. I opened device manageràand found the camera in only one section:
>http://img388.imageshack.us/img388/8356/oly07ja.jpg
>2. I then deleted that, and click the button that detects hardware changes.
THe computer found it and it appeared in other devices:
>http://img388.imageshack.us/img388/9783/oly15ud.jpg
>3. It then proceeded to open the hardware wizard, and so i clicked on find
hardware automatically, and it conducted a search....
>http://img388.imageshack.us/img388/3473/oly28nk.jpg
>4. But was unsucessful in finding any software for it...
>http://img388.imageshack.us/img388/3232/oly34ba.jpg
>_>So the camera will not work as a removeable disk. I have slightly older
cameras that work, aswell as afew portable USB storage devices that seem to
work.
>But it maybe useful to note, that because I couldnt get the camera to work, I
borrowed a friends External XD card reader, which was ment to work without
software, but however didnt, as with the camera.
>ANy ideas?
>Thankyou for your time
>David Leighton

THERE REPLY

Dear Mr. Leighton

Thank you for your reply and the attached images.

Since it is difficult to clarify your problem, please check
the following points.

A) Use the fully charged battery, and check the condition.

B) Stop all resident program and make sure that no other applications
are running. Resident program (software) may interfere with the
connection. Check the Device Manager with all resident programs stopped.

* Please note that anti-virus software will also be stopped.
* Please inquire of your computer manufacturer regarding how to stop.
* Do not forget to make resident software activated when finished.

If you still have problem, please let us know the result of above
A) and B) procedures.

Thank you.

and thats it so far.

Another bit of infromation, for some reason, when I plug the camera in, instead of just making the regular windows beep sound, it does the beep 3 times quickly.??

thanks for your time guys

With regards to the USB drivers, go to control panel - system - hardware tab - device manager. Under USB Controllers, (expand with + if required) look for any ? or !.

If you have either, right click, and select update driver. In the wizard, select no not this time, press next, then "Install the software automatically", then next, then windows should find and install drivers for you (can't run the process to show exactly it will say).

Hope this sorts it, MMF

so you can't laugh...I recently upgraded my custom computer to Windows XP service pack 3. I then installed the software for my Nikon L19 Coolpix...and...nothing. The computer does not recognize the camera, when i try to reinstall drivers it tells me that software for the hardware can't be found. I have been round the topic with Nikon, I added RAM, still nothing.

Also, since I installed XP, my USB hub does not work either (it was working fine on windows 98....and so was a different camera.) I am really frustrated by this and think it is an XP issue, not Nikon. I downloaded the NIKON software from the net etc.

melinda

Hi tanque4two,
You have posted to a thread that is a bit old, Aug 23rd, 2005, If the suggestions I offer now do not help, please start a new thread and supply more information about what is happening.
Try uninstalling the drivers from the "Devise Manager" (To access the “Devise Manager” Go “Start” “Run” type “devmgmt.msc” without the “ “ then press “OK”) Right click the driver and click uninstall. reboot your computer and then insert the USB connected to the camera, When Windows asks you if you want to install follow prompts allowing Windows to see the file you downloaded of the drivers.
Good luck

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.