On my mom's computer, sometimes windows xp (home edition) won't boot past the loading screen. We have done a system restore to earlier date and it still will stop at the loading screen. We have only gotten it to work by pure luck I think. Computer has done this about 6 times now. I don't know a whole lot about fixing or working on computers and need some help to help her. I have pressed F8 and gone through the selections but have only tried: start back at the most recent configuration where my computer last worked, start windows normally, and safe mode (which lists a bunch of drivers *no clue, sorry). Can anyone help me out, please? Thank you.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

..hi there!..i think your OS has been corrupted..try to repair or reformat your PC's mom by using a Windows XP Home Edition Disk..don't forget to back up all your datas!..i hope it helps!..^_^..

Thank you for the reply. Sorry but we don't have a disk, the computer was given to her years ago. how can I go about getting one? or is it a lost cause?

Here is what specs I could find on/or about the computer, since it is running right now. Hope this can aid in the help to find out what I can do for her. Thank you.

System:
Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 3

Hewlett-Packard
Pavilion
Intel(R)
Celeron(R) CPU 1.70GHz
1.69 GHz, 1.00GB of RAM

C Drive:
File system: NTFS
capacity: 32.3GB
(Used: 26.1GB, Free: 6.22GB)

D Drive:
File system: FAT32
capacity: 4.87GB
(Used: 3.90GB, Free: 992MB)

..you can use unlicensed disk for repairing..if you buy original disk it cost you a lot..better you borrow from your friend or anyone that is close to you..nor, try to clean your memory stick and your memory slots..^_^..

Maybe you can try a disk cleanup. Go to Start > accessories > Systems > Disk Cleanup and also also don't forget to deferag your hard disk. That may clean out whatever junk file or temporary files that had been store for years. And lastly, use an anti virus software to scan and clean any possible virus threat. I can go on and on but try out this few method first and see whether it help. If not post again for further assistance.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.