I have two hard drives with XP installed in both and I want get rid of XP on one. I don't know much, I formatted the 2nd hard drive with the Windows XP CD and it installed XP along formatting. I ended up having to pick from 2 options all the time when i start my computer and my 2nd hard drive only has 40gb and it justs wastes valuable space with XP installed. Can someone tell me how to get rid of it if it takes formatting again somehow.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Delete everything on the second drive. Then edit the boot.ini file to remove the reference to the second OS installation.

By deleting do u mean uninstall everything from the hard drive or formatting hard drive?
And it's as simple as deleting the bold text?

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

Be absolutely certain which of the two installations is the one you want to keep. Wipe the unwanted drive of it's installation. (Format or delete as you wish, NOT uninstall.)

Then delete the leftover entry from the boot information file, yes!

I can't tell you precisely which line it is. I can't look at your machine to be sure which installation is the one you want to keep. Best way is to make a bootable floppy, boot from it and use DOS commands to double check the contents of the hard drive(s). Drive letters can be different in Windows to how the machine itself allocates them.

When you're sure, get rid of the one you don't want, edit the file and you're left with only the one windows installation and your second drive free for data.

plz some body suggest me what to do .My problem is .
1)while installing windows XP it could not copy the system files, after the formatting of the drive is being done.It is displaying a message as "system cannot copy ks.sys" i m forced to face this problem from many days .I hope u will definately help me.Thsnk you

First up, start a new thread of your own so people can see what you are after.
When there post a detailed report.
What is the details of your PC?
Did you have a OS before XP setup?
Is "coping of files" started?
Are there any error messages?
Can you borrow another copy of XP and try to see if it OK?
Can you boot into Repair console?
Any and all information that could help some one here see what is going on where you are. The more information the better the chance of good help!!!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.