hi all.

I've had Windows XP installed on a computer that has had the entire c:drive wiped without a back up.

Unsurprisingly, the network adapters have yellow exclamation marks next to them and i need some advice on how to do a bit of detective work to get them going again.

any ideas in simple english language of how to find out what drivers i need to get them working....?

I realise that this is a bit of a longshot and you're probably going to need a bit more info, but this is my point of departure as i'm pretty dull with computers.

cheers

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

You can follow the link in my sig to get detailed information about your system. I don't know if it will properly detect what type of network adapter you have, but it very well could.

Is your network adapter wired or wireless?
Is it built into the motherboard or is it a card attached to the motherboard?
Is it possible for you to look inside your system so you can tell who made your card (if it's a card) or motherboard (if it's built-in) and what model number it is?

If your system is made by a company like Dell or Compaq and the network adapter came with the system, who made your computer and what model number is it?

thanks for the reply.

sorry, but i'm not sure what you mean about the link in your sig....

It's wired, and i thnk it's a card connected to the motherboard as i've been told that the motherboard is not detecting the card. II've taken the computer apart and there doesn't appear to be any indication of what make the adapter is or any of the insides. the only company markings of Blueridge computers on the outside of the system.

sorry that's not much use is it?

The link I was talking about was the link titled Get detailed information about your system at the bottom of my post.

Can you see any markings on the motherboard? Usually you can find some wording about who made the motherboard and what its model number is between the PCI slots (the slots that the long cards plug into).

thanks very much.

I'll try the everest program for a starter before i pull everything apart again and i'll get back to you.

cheers.

sorry for long delay....

have run everest and it appears to have found the network adapters. I've tried to fing them on the microsoft website but i'm way out of my depth when the results come up.

the report discovered the following:

[ Network adapters / Direct Parallel ]

Device Properties:
Driver Description Direct Parallel
Driver Date 01/07/2001
Driver Version 5.1.2535.0
Driver Provider Microsoft
INF File netrasa.inf
Hardware ID ms_ptiminiport

[ Network adapters / WAN Miniport (IP) ]

Device Properties:
Driver Description WAN Miniport (IP)
Driver Date 01/07/2001
INF File netrasa.inf
Hardware ID ms_ndiswanip

[ Network adapters / WAN Miniport (IP) - Packet Scheduler Miniport ]

Device Properties:
Driver Description WAN Miniport (IP) - Packet Scheduler Miniport
Driver Date 01/07/2001
INF File netpsa.inf
Hardware ID ms_pschedmp

[ Network adapters / WAN Miniport (L2TP) ]

Device Properties:
Driver Description WAN Miniport (L2TP)
Driver Date 01/07/2001
INF File netrasa.inf
Hardware ID ms_l2tpminiport

[ Network adapters / WAN Miniport (PPPOE) ]

Device Properties:
Driver Description WAN Miniport (PPPOE)
Driver Date 01/07/2001
INF File netrasa.inf
Hardware ID ms_pppoeminiport

[ Network adapters / WAN Miniport (PPTP) ]

Device Properties:
Driver Description WAN Miniport (PPTP)
Driver Date 01/07/2001
INF File netrasa.inf
Hardware ID ms_pptpminiport

i'm presuming i jjust need to download the drivers but i'm not sure where to look. i'm really out of my depth....

help!

I have the same problem and I don't know where to look anymore,...

I have the same problem and I don't know where to look anymore,...

best to start you own thread and tell you problem ,so people don't have to read all of the above post to see what problem you are having.
did you follow all suggestion above ,also how did you computer get wiped out

If you've got exclamation markes against the network devices, then surely you can double click on the device with the exclamation mark, go to the Drivers tab and update them (i.e. reinstall them). You'd need the Windows XP disk in the drive and I'd expect the drivers to be found. If not, you'll have to do it differently.

If you're connected to the internet via the modem ON THE SAME PC, then that'll clear itself up when you update or reinstall the drivers in the manner suggested allowing drivers to be found on the internet.

If you are not computer literate and can't set up your PC for modem internet, then you're a bit stuck.

You could try this:

1/
Based on the report you posted, you should find c:\windows\inf\netrasa.inf

2/
With your windows system disk in the CD drive, and with fingers crossed that the drivers are there, you could right click the INF file and select INSTALL. If Windows finds the drivers, then repeat the process for all the INF files listed in your post.

3/
Reboot - might work.

What motherboard does Everest report?

hi... i have the same problem...after i intalled my Operating System the LAN doesnt detect..it is buit in LAN CARD and VIEDO CARD. There's no internet... What should i do?..
Anybody help me fix this problem...

Hi and welcome to the Daniweb forums :).

==========

Best to start your own thread please. This one is 5 years old.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.