How do you add things to the msconfig startup menu

i just want this program to run when the computer starts

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

If you want a program to run at startup,put its .EXE in the startup folder .
Open windows explorer ,and copy the progrms .exe to the startup folder .

the startup folder is in C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR USER NAME\Start Menu\Programs\Startup. just place a copy of the programs .EXE here ,
Like if it were notpad.exe you wanted to start you would go to c:\windows ,and drag and drop a copy of notepat.exe to .
C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR USER NAME\Start Menu\Programs\Startup that its ..
Or if the program is in ,START/All Programs just drag and drop its icon to the startup folder there .

commented: thanks for the help +5

how would u prevent something from starting on startup? cuz i have so much stuff that starts up it takes like 3 or 4 minutes from logging on, until everything loads, until i open task manager and close everything, then i can start doing stuff. i went to that folder to maybe take stuff out if it was ther but it was empty. would u go to start/all programs/startup and just drag things out?

Go to start/run ,tpe in MSCONFIG,and uncheck the programs you don't want running or right click on the programs icon down by the clock and most have options you can check so as not to start when booting computer .

STARTER
This may make it easier for you, sometimes it doesn't keep things from being started because they have some file that reloads the start command for that program. (i.e. i tried to disable quicktime from starting its tray icon, but it cam back)

p.s. Caper's method is more effective though

joe, dont use caperjack advice, not to offend caperjack or anything, but depend on the program, copying the exe file to the startup folder might not work. I recommend you make a shortcut in the start up folder for 2 reasons.
1. Some EXE files tend to get very large and so you will be wasting unnesscary HD space when a shortcut only takes a few bytes.
2. Most programs have other files in the same folder as the EXE file so that the program can run(like dll and cfg files) so the program wont work with the EXE file by itself.

Drag the exe that you want to start to the 'start' button at the left bottom of screen. Keep the mouse button down, the menu will then open. Go up to 'programs'
& find the startup folder. Drop it there.

You can also add entries to the Registry in:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Although it's better to create a shortcut in the Startup group for the program you want to start with Windows (like crunchie stated) than copying the actual executable.

To prevent applications from starting up, check the Registry and the Startup group. Quicktime starts from HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

If you want a program to run at startup,put its .EXE in the startup folder .
Open windows explorer ,and copy the progrms .exe to the startup folder.

No, the best way is to place a shortcut IN THE Startup folder. The easiest way to do this is to right-click on the icon for the program or script you want to start with Windows and then Send to -> Desktop. This will place a shortcut on the Desktop. Left-click and drag the icon over the Start button. While continuing to hold the left mouse-button, the Start menu will pop up. Simply drag the icon into the Startup folder and let go of the button -- voila!

No, the best way is to place a shortcut IN THE Startup folder. The easiest way to do this is to right-click on the icon for the program or script you want to start with Windows and then Send to -> Desktop. This will place a shortcut on the Desktop. Left-click and drag the icon over the Start button. While continuing to hold the left mouse-button, the Start menu will pop up. Simply drag the icon into the Startup folder and let go of the button -- voila!

all Right it's been said a couple times now that i am wrong ,i did mean a short cut and not move the exe it just came out wrong

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.