I have an IBM Thinkpad Laptop (T22) that was giving to me, because my friend no longer uses it - he forgot the password. In order to recover the password I used Offline NT password recovery (tried OPHCRACK it did not work), which does not recover the password but allows you to replace it. Having completed all the needed step, when I tried to reboot the computer it just booted to the Windows XP logo and the scroll bar below just lock up. The only way I can access the system is in Safe Mode. I'm not sure what is causing the problem - I have tried to reboot to the "Last Known Good Configuration" and it will not boot in Normal mode.

Can anyone help me with this problem?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Member Avatar for Dukane

Have you tried using system restore while in safe mode?

Password is there for a purpose. Either you ask your friend to try to remember the password or if you have the CD just reformat the laptop if there are no important data since he is not using it.

I"m trying to save the operating system - not I do not have the recovery CD or windows xp pro software. I may have to just buy and load a new program. This only started when I reset the administrator password. Not sure if the two (resetting the password and boot up in normal mode problem)are related?

Try turning on boot logging instead of safe mode and the system will create a log as it loads drivers and you will be able to see where it is crashing. Or second try VGA mode and see if it is something to do with the resolution. Third, get ahold of UBCD4Windows CD and use the system restore utilities to go back before you messed with the hive files and then use the password crackers to properly edit the registry.

For khakilang, the passwords are there to keep the honest people honest. It takes less than 2 minutes for me to crack any windows, linux or MAC OS provided I can get to the physical system. Passwords really work to keep people out of your system when they are working from a distance. But if you can get to the box it boots the way you tell it to.

Try turning on boot logging instead of safe mode and the system will create a log as it loads drivers and you will be able to see where it is crashing. Or second try VGA mode and see if it is something to do with the resolution. Third, get ahold of UBCD4Windows CD and use the system restore utilities to go back before you messed with the hive files and then use the password crackers to properly edit the registry.

For khakilang, the passwords are there to keep the honest people honest. It takes less than 2 minutes for me to crack any windows, linux or MAC OS provided I can get to the physical system. Passwords really work to keep people out of your system when they are working from a distance. But if you can get to the box it boots the way you tell it to.

Thank rch1231 I've tried making a boot logging and found the problem. Then used the internet to find a solution and fixed it. It "did not load my Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC". I found a web site called Windows XP Annoyances Discuss Forum help me to fix the problem.

So far the system is working just find, but not sure I can keep this version of XP - because it is a company network version. Which it is licensed and controlled through an administrator. That is why Ophcrack could not crack the password it uses Net Password to store the password. Do I have to reformatt the hard drive to load a licensed version of XP? I'm looking for a inexpensive relaible version of Windows XP to run on this computer.

I'm just using this computer to run diagnostic automotive and computer software programs.

Once again thanks for you help rch1231.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.