Hello, everyone! This is my first post. It appears that my issue was posted before, but nothing suggested has worked. PLEASE Help!!! My other computer is a Dell Lattitude laptop with 1.0 GHz running XP, and it will not properly boot. All it will do after POST and the "Starting Windows" spash screen is to load the cursor onto a blank screen. There is no taskbar, icons, or anything. I can move the cursor, but nothing happens. The menu does not appear when I right-click, and I can not drag to form the outline of a square.
Toggling between video output did not work. I also plugged in a monitor, but I got the same thing when broadcasting to that screen.
This started after I attempted to update my Nvida drivers. I can't even load Safe Mode, and the CD does not loaad, because I can't see the screen. Is there anything I can do to access my laptop? Please help! This stumped the DELL Support peole.

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

There is no taskbar, icons, or anything. I can move the cursor, but nothing happens. The menu does not appear when I right-click, and I can not drag to form the outline of a square.

I am probably off on the wrong tangent - especially if Dell support was stumped...

-- Can you bring up task manager? (ctrl-alt-del)
-- Are you able to tap F12 at boot to get boot options?
-- On your working compy, burn the Ubuntu Live CD as per the instructions on the linky.
Pop it in the ill compy and see if it will boot.
-- Don't install it. Rather, choose the option to "Try Ubuntu"

Let us know how the above shakes out - will check back as time permits. Busy weekend ahead...

Cheers :)
PP

I can't see the ctrl+alt+Del screen but I think it works.
I can F12 to boot.
If I try safe mode it stops on WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\agp440.sys

I am downloading the file now....may take a bit since it is 676mb.
I will keep you posted... I am not happy with the way this PC is operating. I can hear the start up screen and the noises as it loads but can't see it.

I can't see the ctrl+alt+Del screen but I think it works.

What leads you to think it works?

That's not a good sign - that can be indicative of a number of different problems which may make this more difficult to narrow down or figure out.
Not sure what avenues you have already pursued with regard to the Nvidia drivers, etc...
That may be beyond my feeble skills.

I am downloading the file now....may take a bit since it is 676mb.
I will keep you posted...

OK, no rush - I'll be back over the weekend.

Hopefully it will boot - you may need to hit F12 on boot and select the option to boot from optical drive.

-- With any luck Rik will see this thread. He's good at figuring these things out.

Will try to check back tomorrow :)
PP

Have you by any chance changed graphics card or motherboard recently?

Try this. Reboot and when the system BIOS screen clears (or just before it clears ) start hitting the <F8> key till you get the Windows Boot Options menu. Select SAFE mode to make sure that widows is working correctly or try VGA mode to check to see if it is a Video Display problem. VGA Mode will come up at 640X820 and you can change it once you get up and running to a mode supported by your Video card and Monitor.

Select SAFE mode to make sure that widows is working correctly or try VGA mode to check to see if it is a Video Display problem...

Hey Rodney - that's a good idea except that safe mode hangs at agp440.sys. I was hoping to get in with Ubuntu and disable agp440.sys, though I'm not sure we could do it effectively.

But, yeah - if they can get into Safe Mode, it opens up a whole different world...

I'm curious as to what Dell support tried/didn't try.

PP:)

Well its a acute problem for windows xp users and I am glad that I have finally found a solution for this problem.

Try using the Windows CD and use the 'Recovery Console' then type in (once you log into the partion) chkdsk /r

This may fix the problem (at least it may get you into safe mode)

javanoob101

Have you tried running a system restore yet? Boot to your Windows XP disc and then enter the Recovery Console by hitting 'R'. Once you are at the command prompt type this:
%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe
That should hopefully open up the system restore screen. Restore to a date before this problem started happening.

You could try to use system restore but I don't think it would run in the recovery console (I've never tried it though so it might) I though it only ran in Windows because of it's GUI interface... Try to use it though!

javanoob101

You are right, I was thinking of a BartsPE disc or something. You can run a restore in the recovery console as well, you just have to do it command line. Ask me if you need those instructions.

Have you tried pressing F8 before the windows startup screen appears?
if not do that then select 'Last Known Good Configuration' Try that and see if that works...

javanoob101

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.