You have a VIA graphics chip?!?

I didn't know that!
My dad's computer has a VIA chip and I recently re-installed Windows XP Home W/SP2 and it was installed...

What model is the chip?
Perhaps I could find some drivers for it.

P.S have you tried letting Windows go online to find the drivers?
Try to re-install the graphics card but this time let Windows connect to the internet to try to find drivers for it...

javanoob101

Yes, it was written at the motherboard and it worked before I formatted my HDD...

If I'm not mistaken, it was VIA VT8237R.

I've even let Windows go online since the winXP was OEM version but still won't found anything that worked. The last time I remembered before I formatted it, it has different driver installed and it work fine. It has a weird name and I don't remembered the name for the driver but I'm sure it was third-party driver...

Are you sure that this is your graphics card? The VIA website says it is a RAID controller...

Check your BIOS to see if it says something about a graphics card name.

javanoob101

Since we have found the manufactures website and found the correct drivers on said site (earlier in thread). I really think you are chasing your tale. If the manufacture doesn't have the correct drivers available, I would suggest you consider contacting MSI. Chances are they are not aware they have a corrupted driver package for this old mobo.

BTW I never personally had luck finding drivers from a third party website. Half of them look so shady that I wouldn't install anything I downloaded, Best of luck.

Oops! I didn't bother read all 4 pages again.. That is why I didn't know about the drivers being found already...Sorry :confused:

javanoob101

I've tried to install every driver that might work including RAID Driver but the only driver I could install properly was VIA 4in1 driver for BIOS but it doesn't solved the graphic problem. The graphic driver properties was still empty. I also tried force install the driver provided by MSI website but no avail. Maybe my MB were broken after all and I should get either a new motherboard or AGP card...

Doesn't your motherboard come with CD driver? Life is much easier if you have the CD. Anyway to my experience most MSI motherboard come with S3 graphic adapter.

Yeah it would be easy if I had one. Unfortunately this computer was second handed and the real owner never give any CD for the desktop except the OEM XP CD. But I think it's useless anyway if MSI best driver couldn't correct the issue...

Maybe it is time to look for a new video card... :(

javanoob101

Since we have found the manufactures website and found the correct drivers on said site (earlier in thread). I really think you are chasing your tale. If the manufacture doesn't have the correct drivers available, I would suggest you consider contacting MSI. Chances are they are not aware they have a corrupted driver package for this old mobo.

BTW I never personally had luck finding drivers from a third party website. Half of them look so shady that I wouldn't install anything I downloaded, Best of luck.

Flagstar, did you ever try contacting MSI?

No I didn't. I thought it would be useless anyway since they don't have proper driver for xp.

I finally fix it by reformatting the whole drive and install Win7 instead and what luck, it finally got the proper driver for the VGA and automatically installed it and work but it weren't so powerful enough to run graphic-based like XP does before. Maybe adding up more RAM would be useful...

Anyway, thanks for helping out guys... All of it was helpful...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.