Ive had my computer for a while now and bought it from a major retailer. Because of this my computer came with a restore disk so everytime i wanted to wipe everything on my HD i would just put in the disk and let it do its thing. I have recently installed a new mobo and i want to do a full reinstall of everything. But when i came to use the restore disk it doesnt work and just says invalid destination drive. Does anyone know what i can do? should i do a format c: or doing this would my restore disk not work? thanks

The restore CD is specific to the mobo you had earlier. Lots of OEMs do this to prevent piracy. If you received your new mobo from the same manufacturer, you can request for a new restore CD. If, however, you bought the new mobo from your local computer store, you'll need to obtain a fresh copy of Windows XP from the store, as your restore CD will not install to your new computer.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.