Hey guys

I'm really new to this forum, i signed up to see if anyone has any idea what could be wrong with my PC that i built, generally i'm not that inexperienced with this kind of thing but i wanted confirmation before i go out and buy new parts.

The problem is as follows:
Computer with start fine and then turn off halfway through booting to windows, with the fans going crazy.

However i have found a way around this problem, if i let it sit on the bios screen for about 20 minutes before attempting to start to windows it will work just fine. Also every time i turn it off the fans go mental after power down until the switch on the PSU is turned off.

What i have done:
i have updated all drivers (including BIOS)
reformatted the system
and conducted a windows restore
Resetting and updating BIOS

i believe the problem lies in the PSU but i would like some sort of confirmation on this before i buy a new PSU.

Spec:
Mobo: Asus M2R32-MVP
PSU: OCZ, 600W
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ 3.01 Ghz
RAM: 3GB DDR2
Operating system: Windows 7 X64

This problem has been annoying me for ages i was just wondering if anybody knew what this could be.

Thanks a lot
-Dave

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Just guessing.... fans run for a reason.... is it possible that your CPU's heatsink is not well seated? Booting/loading an OS is moderately CPU intensive; your breaking the procedure by letting it cool after running BIOS and before loading Windows could be explained by this; shutting down also gets the CPU doing housekeeping. Get a core temp monitor, a decent one is, well, CoreTemp.. :) http://www.alcpu.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=137
This is strange, though: "Also every time i turn it off the fans go mental after power down until the switch on the PSU is turned off." The mb fans are controlled by a mb hardware monitor chip, accordingly the mb fans should stop at power down?; the PSU fan answers only to a temp monitor inside the PSU.

Just guessing.... fans run for a reason.... is it possible that your CPU's heatsink is not well seated? Booting/loading an OS is moderately CPU intensive; your breaking the procedure by letting it cool after running BIOS and before loading Windows could be explained by this; shutting down also gets the CPU doing housekeeping. Get a core temp monitor, a decent one is, well, CoreTemp.. :) http://www.alcpu.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=137
This is strange, though: "Also every time i turn it off the fans go mental after power down until the switch on the PSU is turned off." The mb fans are controlled by a mb hardware monitor chip, accordingly the mb fans should stop at power down?; the PSU fan answers only to a temp monitor inside the PSU.

Hey thanks for reply i read that on a forum once but i have re-seated my heatsink but that has proved fruitless i will get core temp and post what i find thanks :)

-Dave

I'm starting to wonder if your mb's sensor chip is upset. You might do a more thorough check with this software, CPUID's HardwareMonitor. Run it, drag the edges of its window so that it shows all data at once, screenshoot it and post the pic. We'll be able to see crucial voltages as well as all mb and CPU temps.
http://www.cpuid.com/
I have 1.16, 1.17 is out. May I suggest you get the no-installation zip? You just put it into a handy folder, unzip it to there, and run the .exe when you need it. It makes it lighter for your sys...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.