My computer will not get past the boot from cd: screen. It freezes there. Do I have to run the recovery cd? My tower was rebuilt about a year ago. My hard drive with my windows xp and internet information and everything else was saved. I did not have to recover when the tower was rebuilt. If I did have to recover, it shouldn't be a problem, should it? HELP!!! I really don't want to have to run the recovery cd.

Unplug all devices from the computer such as usb printer, scanner and leave the bare essentials, monitor, mouse, k-board and tower hooked. Try rebooting. If the problem persists, try to boot into safe mode and use the xp feature to roll the computer back to a date where it was working. Most of the time, it is easier to reformat and reinstall...provided backups were done. Good Luck.

MuthuIVS

How do I get the computer to go to safe mode?

If Windows XP is the only operating system installed on your computer, booting into Safe Mode with these instructions.

If the computer is running, shut down Windows, and then turn off the power
Wait 30 seconds, and then turn the computer on.
Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Options Menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.
Ensure that the Safe mode option is selected.
Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in Safe mode.
When you are finished with all troubleshooting, close all programs and restart the computer as you normally would.

What to do if computer will not go to the startup (safe mode) window? I still get stuck in boot from disk window even after tapping f8?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.