This is really really strang problem, I have been trying all the way to fix it, none of them worked. I had DIY experience for over 6 years, but I think only the real pc gurus can explain it.

Here is my pc's symptom: Boot to safe mode, you can normally shut off the pc; boot to normal, even none of any driver is loaded (I mean right after system is installed without Video driver, audio driver ect), shut off will always lead to reboot, and I have to shut it off manually during posting. This is very annoyed problem, and it is very bad to my pc. The only thing I can think about, maybe there some conflicts, but I can not figure it out. Anyone can have a clue, I will cheer for you. You are the real guru.

Here is my pc: p4 2.0G/1G ram/160G HD/cd-rw & dvd-rw/intel 848 MB, run win2k. Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Just want clearify my question. Basically, i can not shut down my pc, shut down=reboot, so I have to shut it down manually on power botton, but I can shut it down if I boot it to safe mode

Do this:Go to Control Panel/System. Click on the Advanced Tab on the top. Launch the Startup and Recovery settings at the bottom and under System Failure take the check mark out of: Automatically Restart

Thank you. It is not the reason.

Finally, I found where the problem is. This "shut-down-reboot" problem is from my USB2.0/Fireware combo PCI card. After I disable both its USB and 1394 in device manager, the PC can be normally shut down. I got it form checking the conflict/share in system info. Here are these IRQ info when it is allowed.

IRQ 16 RADEON
IRQ 16 Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D2
IRQ 16 Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24DE
IRQ 16 VIA USB Universal Host Controller
IRQ 16 VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
IRQ 18 Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D7
IRQ 18 VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller
IRQ 23 Intel(R) 82801EB USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 24DD
IRQ 23 Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
IRQ 17 VIA USB Universal Host Controller
IRQ 17 Realtek AC'97 Audio

So, this problem seemed having nothing with the win2k, 'cause it was fine with my old i850 mb when running win2k. It is more likely from my msi i848 mb. Sometimes I need 1394 to transfer my daughter's video to pc, I hope I can find a way to fix it. Now, I can only enable it when needed, then disable it before shut-down.

I also tried to search the new driver, it seemed not help. I believe this problem should be solvable. Will you guys have any suggestion, I appreciate

cell
Finally, I found where the problem is. This "shut-down-reboot" problem is from my USB2.0/Fireware combo PCI card. After I disable both its USB and 1394 in device manager, the PC can be normally shut down. I got it form checking the conflict/share in system info. Here are these IRQ info when it is allowed.

IRQ 16 RADEON
IRQ 16 Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D2
IRQ 16 Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24DE
IRQ 16 VIA USB Universal Host Controller
IRQ 16 VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
IRQ 18 Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D7
IRQ 18 VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller
IRQ 23 Intel(R) 82801EB USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 24DD
IRQ 23 Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
IRQ 17 VIA USB Universal Host Controller
IRQ 17 Realtek AC'97 Audio

So, this problem seemed having nothing with the win2k, 'cause it was fine with my old i850 mb when running win2k. It is more likely from my msi i848 mb. Sometimes I need 1394 to transfer my daughter's video to pc, I hope I can find a way to fix it. Now, I can only enable it when needed, then disable it before shut-down.

I also tried to search the new driver, it seemed not help. I believe this problem should be solvable. Will you guys have any suggestion, I appreciate

Why don't u check the error log in administrative tools and find out wat exactly is causing the problem

Do you mean log-in log, there is no error there.

Why don't u check the error log in administrative tools and find out wat exactly is causing the problem

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.