1.11M Members

My Screen Stuck At 4 Bit And 640 X 480 Pixels!! Help Please

Hi, this morning i installed a windows update and than it prompted me to restart. After my computer came back on the screen was stuck at 4 bit colour and 640 x 480 pixels. I've tried to change it back in the display properties but it won't. I've also tried to follow the windows help advice by checking/updating drivers etc. but still no joy. Please help me, it feels like i'm back in the 90's :eek:

Hi ,a little more info on you computer stats will help like what OS, make ,model and stuff .also right click on mycomputer /properties /device manager ,any yellow ! marks around display adapter.

Sounds like the windows has updated a driver and hence screwed your machine. Here is a link on Microsoft to do a system restore to the last know good state:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084/

I would personally back everything up before following this.

Windows

Windows Geforce 2 Nvidia Driver Does That To Me Windows Update Installed It Even Tho I Have Nvidias Newest One Already And It Buggered My Pc Up

Hi, thanks for the replies and sorry i havent responded in a while. I tried restoring my pc, but it wouldn't let me restore it to before the incident so im at a loss now. My OS is Windows XP, Home Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 2. Thanks

hi, if there is anyone out there i'd really appreciate it as i haven't been able to restore my system back to when it was ok.

hi, if there is anyone out there i'd really appreciate it as i haven't been able to restore my system back to when it was ok.

Hi did you, or have you been able to reinstall your video display drivers

i've tried updating them but it said i have the latest one. could you tell me hoe to go about reinstalling them please. thanks

i've tried updating them but it said i have the latest one. could you tell me hoe to go about reinstalling them please. thanks

well if it says you have the latests one then it should be working ,when you right click on the desktop and go to properties /settings can you change it to 16 or 32 bit ,
When you right click mycomputer go to properties /device manager , click the + next to display adapter ,what do you see ,are there any yellow or red !!! around anywhere .
some time when we download driver on the net thery are zipped files ,they will need to be unzipped before you can install them ,sometime there is exe file within the folder we need to execute it to install dirvers ,some time we go through display adapers in device manager to install the drivers if there is no executiable .

it doesn't allow me to change to any higher bit. and i looked for yellow marks but there are none. and i havent downloaded an drivers off the net

if i uninstall the display driver, whaat will happen?? will i be able to use the computer or will the display not work. thanks

if i uninstall the display driver, whaat will happen?? will i be able to use the computer or will the display not work. thanks

if you uninstall it in the device manager or through add and remove program, when you reboot computer , windows will load default drivers ,that you can't change the settings on but computer will work ,then you can find or reinstall the correct drivers if you have them

i just uninstalled the driver and my computers gone back to normal! should i download the driver off nvidia's website or let windows find it?? thanks

i just uninstalled the driver and my computers gone back to normal! should i download the driver off nvidia's website or let windows find it?? thanks

thnaks for your help, i just updated the driver and it all seems fine:) :) :)

your welcome ,hope it stays that way !

OMG!!! i had the same exact problem ,my computer was stuck at 640X480 with only 4 bit color nad i couldnt change it. but then i uninstalled the driver in the device manager and windows told me i had to reboot, i rebooted at it worked!!!!
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG!!! i had the same exact problem ,my computer was stuck at 640X480 with only 4 bit color nad i couldnt change it. but then i uninstalled the driver in the device manager and windows told me i had to reboot, i rebooted at it worked!!!!
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your welcome!!

Hi, this morning i installed a windows update and than it prompted me to restart. After my computer came back on the screen was stuck at 4 bit colour and 640 x 480 pixels. I've tried to change it back in the display properties but it won't. I've also tried to follow the windows help advice by checking/updating drivers etc. but still no joy. Please help me, it feels like i'm back in the 90's :eek:

Thambu

Resolving the Problem
The Graphics Controller driver may be corrupt. This is the most likely cause of the problem. Reinstall the driver or Update the driver.
To reinstall the driver(EX. Intel® Extreme Graphics controller)
1. Open the control panel
2. Remove Intel® Extreme Graphics controller.
3. Delete the Intel folder in C:\Program Files, if it exists.
4. Remove the registry entry of INTEL using Registry Editor. Click Start > Run. In the open box type regedit. Click OK. Double click on the HKEY_LOCAL-MACHINE branch. Double click on the Software branch. Select INTEL and delete.
5. Insert the motherboard installer CD or select latest Intel® Graphic Controller software downloaded and install the graphic controller.
6. Reboot the computer.
7. Done.

Question Answered as of 6 Years Ago by caperjack, jbennet, billythehamster and 2 others

Thambu

Resolving the Problem
The Graphics Controller driver may be corrupt. This is the most likely cause of the problem. Reinstall the driver or Update the driver.
To reinstall the driver(EX. Intel® Extreme Graphics controller)
1. Open the control panel
2. Remove Intel® Extreme Graphics controller.
3. Delete the Intel folder in C:\Program Files, if it exists.
4. Remove the registry entry of INTEL using Registry Editor. Click Start > Run. In the open box type regedit. Click OK. Double click on the HKEY_LOCAL-MACHINE branch. Double click on the Software branch. Select INTEL and delete.
5. Insert the motherboard installer CD or select latest Intel® Graphic Controller software downloaded and install the graphic controller.
6. Reboot the computer.
7. Done.

the post you are responding too is almost 1 year old!! and dead

You
This question has already been solved: Start a new discussion instead
Tags Related to this Article