Does anyone know why when i try delete a folder off of my C drive i get this message:

"Cannot delete CAIDWFIT.: Cannot find the specified file.
Make sure you specify the correct path and file name."

is there a method of bypassing this and deleting the folder? all i know to try is either right click and select delete or hit the shift + delete keys at the same in order to bypass the recycle bin.

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

have you tried doing it in safe mode ,safe mode hit f8 on bootup

have you tried doing it in safe mode ,safe mode hit f8 on bootup

Cheers for the reply mate, i've never tried using safe mode before, the layout of my desktop and folders looked completely different, it was a little disorienting :cheesy: , sadly though it did not work and i got the same error message as before.

Is there anything else i can try? thanks again.

What's the path to the file? It's on the desktop? Also, are you able to do anything to the folder, such as set attributes (system, hidden, read-only) or can you do absolutely nothing with it?

You can go into Dos, and try to delete the file manually using it's short name..... or trying doing it using wildcards. You could also try this tool:
http://www.purgeie.com/delinv/index.htm

If the file is not invalid (assuming this tool doesn't fix the problem) let me know.... either the filename is invalid, and windows can't access it (for a number of reasons), or another app is using the file and won't release it (in which case I can get around that). Let me know.

What's the path to the file? It's on the desktop? Also, are you able to do anything to the folder, such as set attributes (system, hidden, read-only) or can you do absolutely nothing with it?

Hi, cheers for the help, the folder isn't on my desktop, the path to the folder is:

C:/My Shit/BitTorrent/BIT

I tried to do the whole check/ uncheck "read only" and "hidden" options but this had no effect, however i did find something interesting, when i clicked on "properties" it says that there are four files inside the folder, yet even if i go into my folder options and check "show all hidden files and folders" i still cannot see these phantom files, very odd.

I've never tried doing anything in Dos before, i wouldn't know how to be honest, is it pretty straight forward?

Cheers for the reply mate, i've never tried using safe mode before, the layout of my desktop and folders looked completely different, it was a little disorienting :cheesy: , sadly though it did not work and i got the same error message as before.

Is there anything else i can try? thanks again.

hi ,in safe mode it looks different because the video drivers are not used ,and startup programs are not running ,anyway try this go to start /run type in CMD ,and
at the prompt ype DEL C:\My Shit\BitTorrent\BIT, note the space between DEL and C:\

If it's a folder (BIT) then del won't get rid of it. You'll have to use rd or rmdir (same command). so, something like: rd /s "c:\my shit\BitTorrent\BIT" did you try the link http://www.purgeie.com/delinv/index.htm and see if that program works.....

Also, something else that throws me, is if that file is the one that won't get deleted, why does it say: CAIDWFIT? Is CAIDWFIT the file inside the BIT folder? Also, bit torrent isn't running when you try to delete this is it? If so, naturally, it won't work. If bit torrent is NOT running, and the dos commands don't work, let me know.

Thanks again Caperjack, but like Comatose said:

If it's a folder (BIT) then del won't get rid of it.

Sorry about that, i should of been more clear in my post, i apologise.

Comatose, thankyou so much for the link to that site, it was so late when i last looked on this forum that i completely missed that link the first time you mentioned it.

There were a total of four files in the BIT folder that i was not able to see before using that divfinst program, i deleted each one with no trouble and was able to get rid of that annoying folder once and for all! great stuff, yet again i'm amazed at the knowledge of this board, i love this forum, should i ever run into anyone here in the street i will be sure to buy you all a drink! :mrgreen:

Does anyone know why when i try delete a folder off of my C drive i get this message:

"Cannot delete CAIDWFIT.: Cannot find the specified file.
Make sure you specify the correct path and file name."

is there a method of bypassing this and deleting the folder? all i know to try is either right click and select delete or hit the shift + delete keys at the same in order to bypass the recycle bin.

Here is the solution to your problem.
http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

Here is the solution to your problem.
http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

Comatose already fixed this for me, and i marked the thread as "solved" since then, but thankyou for taking the time out to help me mate.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.