Hi
I have a HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GWA-4160B DVD/CD Rewriter.
It will read both DVD and CD but has stopped writing.
When I try to burn a new CD in windows, I get the error message Pease insert a writeable CD into drive E:\. When I use Nero I get a message saying the Drive is in use by another programme.
Any help would be great.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

There are no firmware updates for this drive:sad: . I would test it in another machine if it works you could have a software problem, if not bin it and get a new one. Let me know outcome!:lol:

I had a similar problem once, it turned out the power supply was not up to powering all my added on bits and was no longer supplying sufficient current to burn a cd properly. Solution get a bigger PSU (bigger Watts not bigger size obviously)

But yeah try it in another machine first, if it works there, spend the money on a new PSU.

I agree with the idea that psu could be going bad but then again could be the drive itself.

I had a similar problem once, it turned out the power supply was not up to powering all my added on bits and was no longer supplying sufficient current to burn a cd properly. Solution get a bigger PSU (bigger Watts not bigger size obviously)

But yeah try it in another machine first, if it works there, spend the money on a new PSU.

Thank you for your replies.
My PC does not have any hardware additions and is in it's original configuration.
It is less than a year old, has Win XP Home, Intel 3.4ghz, 1gb ram, 256mb graphics card and 250gb HD. It general works fine and has no other obvious problems. I also have Kaspersky anti virus installed.

Check you're antivirus settings, you're looking to check it's not trying to scan your drive and getting in the way of Windows or NERO when they want to burn.

Also 1 year can build up some dust, use a reputable cd cleaning product in the drive, I know it reads ok but CD burning has lower tolerance compared to just reading (you now.. it's more um.. twitchy, conditions need to be just so)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.