I have windows XP Pro SP2, with windows media player 11 beta it hasnt given me any issues for weeks now the only thing I changed was to download a new divx 6.4 codec and xvid 1.10 codec, sounds and videos play fine in my VLC player/Real Player/Divx...etc its only the windows media giving me issues lol it figures :) it wont play and gives me a error for normal only sound files and with videos it plays them fine but with no sound and no error.

Ive already checked under device managers for any !/? etc everything looks normal in the whole branch/tree and sound section as well, my motherboard has C-Media onboard high Def sound built into it and never had a problem since I built this PC early this year.

What other areas can I check? Ive even checked for the obvious mute on any programs and windows or changed setting everything is fine, is there anything in my BIOS i can play with?

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

the only thing I changed was to download a new divx 6.4 codec and xvid 1.10 codec, sounds and videos play fine in my VLC player/Real Player/Divx...etc its only the windows media giving me issues lol it figures :) i?

is that ALL. you media player is beta ,in the building stage, what do you expect from it .! you are being used as tester by microshaft ,contact them with the error message and see what help they offer ,im sure they will be glad to hear from you

is that ALL. you media player is beta ,in the building stage, what do you expect from it .! you are being used as tester by microshaft ,contact them with the error message and see what help they offer ,im sure they will be glad to hear from you

Are you serious? It does the same with Window Media PLayer 10, 9, and ancient mplayer2.exe thats in the system32 folder, would you like non beta screen shots so you couldnt blame it on the beta 11 stage?

Are you serious? It does the same with Window Media PLayer 10, 9, and ancient mplayer2.exe thats in the system32 folder, would you like non beta screen shots so you couldnt blame it on the beta 11 stage?

Yes Im serisous ,and you cold have mentioned that it did the same with all the players ,so its most likely the new codex you've install ,why blame it on wmp

Yes Im serisous ,and you cold have mentioned that it did the same with all the players ,so its most likely the new codex you've install ,why blame it on wmp

But it only does it with windows media player, not any other of my players...guess im on my own....

But it only does it with windows media player, not any other of my players...guess im on my own....

Ok ,its strange to say the least that it only affect the sound in WMP,just for the fun of it i loaded the codex and the converter on another machine i have here and it works ok,
did wmp ever work after you installed the divix codex or did this happen right away after installing them ,I had one error when installing wmp 11beta it was finished ,just install some music store i agreed to [just for the heck of it ]when it stoped responding ,i did and end task ,then got a possiable plugin error of some sort ,
if it started after the install of dicx ,have you tried uninstall the divx

I've posted my own version of this fault and no one came up with any answers there either... Although my fault was with WMP 10 AFTER i unistalled WMP 11 beta... The really annoying thing is that WMP 10 works PERFECTLY on any of the other user accounts on this my system... It just tells me that there is a problem with my sound device or that there isn't one installed.... Like i said though NONE of my other users have this problem and take great joy in the fact that they can still use WMP and i'm stuck with winamp...

maybe reinstall sound card drivers on the affected user

Nope... Tried that... Both sound drivers and MoBo drivers... No help... This just seems to be one of those "Windows Faults That No One Can Explain"...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.