Hey,

My moms PC si running unbelievably slow.........I don't think it is a virus, spy ware or something else. I think its something else. I've run my ZoneAlarms Zonelabs Security Suite ant it doesn't pick anything up. I would really like some help because if even though it is a fairly old computer.......Its 8 years old......I have been upgrading it thorughout the years........It used to run faster then it is. I refuse to use it becuase of the lack of speed.

Here are the Stats.....if you need more just give me a shout:

Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
400 megahertz Intel Celeron
32 kilobyte primary memory cache
128 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P3B-F REV 1.01
Bus Clock: 66 megahertz
BIOS: Award Software, Inc. ASUS P3B-F ACPI BIOS Revision 1003.A 08/07/1999
137.43 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
126.43 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H22N [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

ST3160812A [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 0, s/n 4LS5TLFD, rev 3.AAJ, SMART Status: Healthy

384 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM 1' has 128 MB
Slot 'DIMM 2' has 64 MB
Slot 'DIMM 3' has 64 MB
Slot 'DIMM 4' has 128 MB

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

the cpu is too slow. Under 600mhz barely runs xp. Turn off the wallpaper (plain color) - also turn off the welcome screen and use the old style win2k theme - this should save cpu power

Even though it may have a slow CPU speed that doesn't explain why it was running faster before.....it use to run a lot faster then it is now...and there is no difference then before either.

because youre running laods of things like virus suites and firewalles such as zonealarm. Zonealarm slows my 384mb ram P3 to a crawl

because youre running laods of things like virus suites and firewalles such as zonealarm. Zonealarm slows my 384mb ram P3 to a crawl

So did you change your virus protection????

if your mum only goes to reputable sites... banks, etc, then all she needs is windows firewall, no AV, no AS. But who knows what mums get up to when the door is closed.

commented: Very Interesting Comments +1

lol...Nice......anyways...isnt it better to have a AV and AS just incase

AV, i spose... AVG free or Avast. But you can grab an antispyware eg AVG AS 7.5 when necessary. Instead of one of those, get Spywareblaster - that keeps out a lot of the known bad ones. and runs cleaner, lighter.

as a test kill all your AV,AS and firewall and try it out just with the windows one and see whether it offeres a significant speed boost

can you please post a screnshot of the performance tab from the control-alt-del menu

can you please post a screnshot of the performance tab from the control-alt-del menu

How??? Like with or without the Security suite

without. click the mem usage tab so it will order it lowest -> highest then post a screenshot so we can see whats using the most

e.g included

Hey i looked at your attachement..what operating system are your running..i like the task bar LOL

zune theme just in case others are wondering

gee, maui, i tried using the scroll bar in your pic to see all the processes... :). maybe you could stretch the window vertically so all processes show?

lol sorry...the only reason I put the Task manager on a attachment is beacause i wanted to show the top proccessssssssssssss

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.