Hi,
Please note my comp spec:

pentium III, 98 MB RAM, 40 HDD Hard disk.

how can i make my Windows XP pc more speedable? Can i reduce any resource from the OS for a better performance?

Anish V
Mahatma Gandhi Colony

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Add more Ram.

TT4Titans that wasn't very helpful...

You can try using msconfig (Start>Run>msconfig) and remove some stuff from start-up. If you don't know what a process is, go HERE.

But WOW! It's surprising you're even running XP on 98MB! My worst PC was 128MB and it ran XP like a slug with salt on it ( :) ).

Run an AV program, as well as a spyware program (Ad-Aware / Spybot S&D).

Other than that, get more RAM.

You need at least 128MB of RAM for Xp to workproperly and 256MB RAM is recommended

Hi,
Please note my comp spec:

pentium III, 98 MB RAM, 40 HDD Hard disk.

how can i make my Windows XP pc more speedable? Can i reduce any resource from the OS for a better performance?

Anish V
Mahatma Gandhi Colony

Sorry Linux but that was as about as helpful as that could be.

Actually 128 is the bare minumum and 512 is the recommended to get the performance.256 will do pretty good till you start adding several apps.

I mean a AV is liable to lock it down especially if the screen saver comes on.

TT4Titans that wasn't very helpful...

You can try using msconfig (Start>Run>msconfig) and remove some stuff from start-up. If you don't know what a process is, go HERE.

But WOW! It's surprising you're even running XP on 98MB! My worst PC was 128MB and it ran XP like a slug with salt on it ( :) ).

Run an AV program, as well as a spyware program (Ad-Aware / Spybot S&D).

Other than that, get more RAM.

Hi,
You have adviced me to run an AV program. Can you tell me what is this AV program stands for?
---Anish

Anti virus don't use norton it is a resource hog.

I use McAfee but AVG some people say is good.here is a link to a free download.

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

What he is saying is that your computer might also be slow because you may have a virus infection. But the many reason that you computer is going so slow with XP is the lack of RAM/Memory.

It's probably not a virus. Run a spyware check first! It's faster and will probably help your problem (uhh fix itself).

hi team

my computer run at window xp and ram of 256 with HD of 20GB. but of late when I play video window media player or watch TV clips on it the pictures are playing in slow motion but sound is okey.what can i do to increase the perfomance.

regards

kiai

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.