I have a desktop and a laptop, I use the desktop to connect to my ISP via dial-up. both computers are connected via a crossover cable since I only have to connect 2 PC's together. Both computers can see each other on the network, and both can share files and printers. Internet sharing used to work but then suddenly stopped, anybody has any ideas on why this happened?

and btw, both are running win2k...

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

Hrm... Where to begin...

First of all, can the machines ping each other? Sometimes they can see one another through NETBIOS, which is a seperate protocol from TCP/IP. Can the Desktop ping anything on the Internet? If yes, can the laptop ping the IP address of the desktop?

Pretty much, you'd troubleshoot this like you would any router. See if the router can ping an Internet site, see if the client can ping the Internet-facing interface on the router. That should help you determine in some way or another what's going on. It may boil down that you need to uninstall/reinstall ICS on the desktop system.

ok, answers to your questions.. yes, they can ping each other.. I don't see any problem on the network... I am connected to the internet via modem dial-up. the computer that connects to the internet works fine... but the client for the ICS is not connecting to the internet at all... lastly, can you uninstall ICS on win2k??? Im not really sure if it can be done...

Wait did you say a crossover cable why don't you use a Phoneline/Network Router? It will probably save you a big time headache.

Hello,

Do your logs offer any advice? Perhaps some service is no longer starting properly, or perhaps you installed some firewall product.

Christian

Wait did you say a crossover cable why don't you use a Phoneline/Network Router? It will probably save you a big time headache.

yups, I'm only connecting 2 computers... I'll be getting 2 more computers some time this year, but til' then I'll settle for the crossover cable... I already have a switch ready so I can connect more computers when needed. And mind you, I'm using dial-up to connect to the internet, meaning I don't have a router to begin with... since the second computer is only used for checking mails and mostly chatting, I really don't need a lot of bandwidth... and I've gone cheap :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: !!!

Hello,

Do your logs offer any advice? Perhaps some service is no longer starting properly, or perhaps you installed some firewall product.

Christian

I haven't checked the logs yet, I will when i get home from work... I don't remember installing any firewall products.

ok, answers to your questions.. yes, they can ping each other.. I don't see any problem on the network... I am connected to the internet via modem dial-up. the computer that connects to the internet works fine... but the client for the ICS is not connecting to the internet at all... lastly, can you uninstall ICS on win2k??? Im not really sure if it can be done...

I've had most of my experience with ICS in Win 98 SE. There, it was an optional component that could be installed through Add/Remove Programs -> Windows Setup. I'd imagine you may be able to do the same in 2k-- Add/Remove programs -> Add/Remove windows components.

I've had most of my experience with ICS in Win 98 SE. There, it was an optional component that could be installed through Add/Remove Programs -> Windows Setup. I'd imagine you may be able to do the same in 2k-- Add/Remove programs -> Add/Remove windows components.

I've tried ICS in win98se and it's very much different from win2k. on win98se, u enable the ICS and then it installs something onto your PC and makes a setup disk for ICS clients whereas in win2k, ICS is installed with the system. you don't need to install anything else to make it work, or so it seems. all you have to do is click on the sharing tab/share this connection/ on the properties of the network connection that you use to connect to the internet.

Everything was working really fine until one day it stopped working... I'm getting really frustrated by this... I'm starting to consider internet routing softwares such as wingate... :twisted:

any other suggestions?

Since you seem to be out of other ideas.... here's a longshot...

Is this by chance a work laptop? I know that when I had a laptop issued to me from work, I experienced something similar when the company started monitoring my internet usage. One day I could connect via my home network just fine, the next nothing. I could still connect at work just fine, but nothing at home.

You haven't mentioned if you're using dial on demand in ICS. If so, if your machine that is sharing its connection is not already connected to the Internet does it try to dial when the other machine tries to access the Internet?

lastly, can you uninstall ICS on win2k???

Right click on your dialup settings in your Network and Dial-up Connections option, click on tab Share, uncheck Enable Internet Connection Sharing for this connection. Apply, OK.

That should disable ICS.

After that maybe you can try to check it again to see if it works. To what I have experience before, routing can get messed up especially if you have firewall software like Norton Internet Security, etc.

...See if the router can ping an Internet site, see if the client can ping the Internet-facing interface on the router....

Huh? I know little about networking, and is why I'm here seeking help...could you elaborate on how to do what you suggest? I am having the same problem being discussed and appreciate finding this information, but need help understanding it. I'm fairly skilled with computers, just no networking experience.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.