Hi,

I saw this identical problem before and never saw a solution:
I have a Gateway 500 SE, with Windows XP Home Edition. My computer is froze-up/was unresponsive. I keep getting this message:

We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous starup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or REset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows Normally.

Safe Mode
Safe Mode With Networking
Safe Mode With Command Prompt

Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent setting that worked)

Start Windows Normally
I have tried all of the options, beginning with Last Known Good Configuration, Safe Mode, and Start Windows Normally and then moving on in frustration, but none of the options works. What happens is when I select an option, the computer reboots and then the above screen appears again. I haven't made any hardware changes. Windows XP came preinstalled on my computer so I don't have the exact disk to work with.
I've checked all the connections and plugs and they all seem to working fine as does the cooling fan. I've disconnected my computer from the Internet as well but that hasn't had any effect. Any help or suggestions you could give me would be greatly appreciated. I will try to answer any questions you may about my computer, but I don't know how much I can provide without being able to access my desktop. Thanks a lot to everyone in advance.

Ed

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

What disc came with the computer?

Hi dcc,

The usual two disk set -- the applications recovery and the system recovery.

Ed

Have you tried running the system recovery disc?

Start your computer and keep tapping F8 to bring up the advanced boot options. Select disable automatically restart option. If there is blue screen of death, tell us its error code.

Hi nanosani,

Sorry for the delay -- wish there were more than 24 hours in a day.

The error message on the blue screen is:

0X0000007B (0XF96DD528, 0XC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

If that means anything. I think I'll be formatting soon. I only wish there was a way of saving some of the files. Using Bart PE, I can get into some sort of "safe" mode and view the stuff on the HD. But with only an operable floppy drive, you sure can't save very much. The CD drive is used by the Bart PE program and won't run if it is taken out.

Thanks for your interest,
Ed

Hey Ed,

I use to troubleshoot this model for Gateway/eMachines. The steps I would walk through a customer for this scenario would be.

1st Question: Any beeps upon post? If so what art the series of beeps? It should beep rapidly and then pause. Count the amount of beeps until the pause. If you get this let us know what that is. It tells you exactly what is up.

If no beeps then it might be something like a USB connection that a driver needs to be reinstalled. Try disconnecting a device one at a time. Restarting your system each time and see if you get the same error.

Or boot to safe mode. Go to Control panel, Click on Hardware then Hardware and Device manager. Look for any conflicts or Other devices. Conflicts will show an exclamation mark next to them. Other device typically means that the driver has not been installed properly. It will need to be removed and reinstalled after the system restarts.

It may be that either the RAM needs to be reseated, Possible onboard video or NIC card issue.

Might also be that the BIOS jumper setting needs to be set to restore. This is the pin configuration on your motherboard.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

RueB 2s De

Here's everything you wanted to know about that error message but were afraid to ask.

Hmm .. that's usually an inaccessible boot device error. This usually happens if your MBR or some windows system files get corrupted. So how can you fix this? Here's what you can do.

Boot your system from CD ROM drive using Windows installation disc. Go to console recovery mode and issue the following commands:

chkdsk /f /r c: (where c: is your windows drive)
When this commands completes its operations, issue the following command:
fixboot

Hopefully, your windows machine will boot normally.

Hmm .. that's usually an inaccessible boot device error. This usually happens if your MBR or some windows system files get corrupted. So how can you fix this? Here's what you can do.

Boot your system from CD ROM drive using Windows installation disc. Go to console recovery mode and issue the following commands:

chkdsk /f /r c: (where c: is your windows drive)
When this commands completes its operations, issue the following command:
fixboot

Hopefully, your windows machine will boot normally.

There is something else that you would need to do: If you do not have the recovery console available with Windows XP you can create a startup diskette on Windows 98, ME or XP. If you have a friend that has XP just go to My computer place the diskette in the DVD/CDROM drive right click and choose create startup diskette.

If you friend has Windows 98 or ME. Go to control panel/Add remove programs and click on startup diskette. you will need a floppy to create the startup diskette on this platform.

Once you have it created, Place the disk in the drive and restart your system. It will give you a command prompt.

if you run FIXBOOT be sure to add FIXBOOT c: (note the space between the Fixboot command and the C: ) It will give you a confimation that the boot sector has been resolved.

Here is some information from Microsoft about Fixboot:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/bootcons_fixboot.mspx?mfr=true

You really don't need to run a check disk if you don't need to. What this command does is check the integrity of the Hard drive. If you have bad sectors (not clusters) it lets you know that the hard drive might need to be replaced or reformated.

so really you can just type fixboot c: and it will overwrite the current Boot sector files for your Operation system.

So again FIXBOOT c:

CHKDSK /f = Fix bad sectors
CHKDSK /r = repair bad sectors or clusters

Hope that helps

RueB 2s De

Thanks RueB2sDe for creating the floppy disc part .. but I don't really love it that way. I always install recovery console on my system startup for emergency purposes. Otherwise I use the CD ROM as floppies are disappearing from the tech world :). But that would certainly help a person with no Windows disc.

Totally, You know eMachines and Gateway computers have a recovery console however they did not include the chkdsk or FDISK or
FIXBoot on some of them so its like I'm on auto pilot about the startup diskette.

Its kinda lame that not all commands are available with certain computer manufactures.

Have a good one and Great weekend !!

RueB 2s De

i have a gateway 7330 and i am also frozen at the windows screen any suggestion for me?

Yah DSCOTT305,

It could be a device or program that did not install properly.

The easiest way to resolve this issue it to disable some start up items.

First when your system starts tap the F8 Key.
Choose Safe Mode with OUT networking.
Click on the Administrator tab.
Go to Start, Run and type: MSCONFIG
Click on the Startup tab.
Click on Disable all. (Keep in mind if you try my suggestions and are running ME or 98 there are some startup programs that need to be enabled for your OS to run ie..Scanreg etc)
Also It might disable your Anti virus program.
Once this is done, be sure to go back into your Anti virus program and configure it to run what you want it to run.

Once you click Disable all. Click apply and agree to restart.
Your system should startup normally without freezing. You will receive a message: You have used System Confiurgation Utility.
Click on the Box to place a check mark next to "Do not lauch system configuration utility..."
and then Click ok.

Next scan your system for errors by going to Start, Run and type SFC /Scannow
(NOTE: SFC /Scannow checks your System files to make sure they are still in tacked and will fix them if any errors it is short for System File Checker)

Hope that helps yah Scott
Let me know if I can help ya any futher

RueB 2s De :-)

Hey all,

I finally gave up on the problem. I honestly did try all of everyone's suggestions, to no avail. I was able to get into XL using Bart's PE disk and then saved all my personal files using a memory stick. I only had a 512 mb one so it took a couple of downloads to get all my stuff saved and put on an old computer's HD. l then burned a couple of CDs.
So, I formatted the HD on the Gateway and reinstalled XL. Now I'll be having some fun reinstalling all my applications and files.

Thanks a lot everyone for your help.

Ed

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.