Hi,
I have a personal PC at home running Windows XP, 3.06 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 with 200 GB hard drive space and 512 MB RAM. I bought this a year ago from PC world.

I have noticed that my PC took about 3 mins to start so I decided to remove all the unneeded items on the taskbar and remained with the necessary ones including speaker, and norton anti virus.

I have seen that this has made the difference to the desktop as the desktop starts much quicker but it still is slow in starting up from when I switch it on to when it shows the desktop.

It takes a lot of time when the Windows XP icon shows and the processing line, but when it comes to desktop, its got quicker due to the deletion of unwanted icons.

I worries me to see the slowness because I have got a laptop which is 1.7Ghz, and its got 768MB RAM, and about 10 to 15 items on the taskbar on the bottom right and it takes the same time as the desktop to start.

Do you think more RAM is to be added? MY hard drive is not even half full, not much information is saved anyway. What else could be the reason? Please help me. I have also defragmented my drive.

Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

i think yeah yeah u need more rams and u need a start up manager cause some programs start without showing in quick launch or icons in desktop download startup manager EXAMPLE:TUNE UP UTILITIES and stop all programs except the ones u need the NORTON AND THE SPEAKER and try it if it doesn't work then go for the rams but i am not sure about the rams though

More ram would definitely help. I upgraded from 512 to a gig, and my pc runs a lot better.

ok then RAM IT IS :)

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/
Go to the above link and read up on start up programs, then go to run>msconfig>startup tab. that will show all programs that are runing on startup. uncheck those that you don't want to run. The above link should help you in choosing which programs to uncheck.

Hi,
I have a personal PC at home running Windows XP, 3.06 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 with 200 GB hard drive space and 512 MB RAM. I bought this a year ago from PC world.

I have noticed that my PC took about 3 mins to start so I decided to remove all the unneeded items on the taskbar and remained with the necessary ones including speaker, and norton anti virus.

I have seen that this has made the difference to the desktop as the desktop starts much quicker but it still is slow in starting up from when I switch it on to when it shows the desktop.

It takes a lot of time when the Windows XP icon shows and the processing line, but when it comes to desktop, its got quicker due to the deletion of unwanted icons.

I worries me to see the slowness because I have got a laptop which is 1.7Ghz, and its got 768MB RAM, and about 10 to 15 items on the taskbar on the bottom right and it takes the same time as the desktop to start.

Do you think more RAM is to be added? MY hard drive is not even half full, not much information is saved anyway. What else could be the reason? Please help me. I have also defragmented my drive.

Thanks.

Good Evening!

your RAM should be fine for what you're doing, I'd have no concerns about you keeping your RAM at 512MB unless you're running demanding programs such as SAGE or a Graphic design utility.

I would however suggest trialing System Mechanic from iolo, you can get a 1 month trial and should fix the majority of your problems including the windows registry.

As you've purchased your pc from PC WORLD (part of DSGi) if it's within its warranty or covered with 'whateverhappens' or 'coverplan' you should be entitled to a health check from one of the stores technicians.

Hope this helps,

Dazza :cool:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.