my computer dosn't show desktop icons even the task bar when i switch it on.It's a windows xp.It only shows a desktop background picture.Before this problem started it was saying that it's low on memory.I tried to delete some things but still that message didn't go away.Now they are no icons.Please help.Thanks in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

Member Avatar for thunderstorm98

Please ensure the 'show desktop icons' is marked or not.
To check right click on desktop and select arrange icons by > and see show desktop icons is marked or not.

windows xp is not showing icons on desktop

Do you have the Start button and lower task bar showing?

Oops, you did say the task bar is not showing when you start yur sys. Okay, that is likely a reg key at fault, one that autostarts explorer. I can give you the likely registry edit directly, else you can run this program which will show us other settings that may be incorrect [and enable us to fix them]:
==download hijackthis: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download5554.html
-copy it to a new FOLDER placed either alongside your program files or on your desktop and then...
-in that folder start HijackThis by dclicking the .exe
-CLOSE ALL OTHER APPLICATIONS and any open windows including the explorer window containing HijackThis.
-click the Scan and Save a Logfile button. Post the log here.

Just Format the disk and install a new copy of your operating system :)

For a representative of a software firm you offer rather bland solutions. Format and reinstall, indeed, for lost icons!!

When Windows Explorer and Explorer.exe refuses to run and no icons or taskbar are showing...
press CTRL+ALT+DEL to start Task Manager...click File ... New Task...Run...Type in regedit and click OK
Navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\RpcSs

Right click ObjectName in the details pane ... Click Modify ... type in LocalSystem in the Value field ... Click OK and reboot

I'd be tempted to leave that object as "ObjectName"="NT Authority\\NetworkService"

Hi, I had a similar problem but it has escalated to the point where not only can I not see the taskbar, icons and desktop items, I can't even get into task manager (ctrl+alt+delete). I tried opening in all the safe mode options and now it doesnt even get to my normal screen with my desktop background. it's stuck on the hp screen. Using XP. I don't remember what I was doing before this happened. Any ideas? I cant format or run apps on it as I cant open anything.. HELP PLEASE

TM: Try Ctrl-Shift-Esc.

do a right click on the desktop, Arrange Icons by, then check the "Show desktop icons". Hope it helps.

Marcella Hughes

I had this problem,but I solve it clicking right click on destop --> View --> Shot destop icons

This is mainly caused by a virus infection. The best thing to do is to completely format your HDD (and preferrably a low level format) and re-install a new copy of Windows, then get yourself a proper anti-virus like ESET NOD32 from www.eset.com.

commented: poor advice + very old thread -2
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.