hi my computer is shutting down for some reason whenver i play Americas Army. that is the only time it shuts down and i or none of my friends know whats wrong here. i tried to reinstall the game and that did not work either. ever since i got this new case my computer has been restarting :-| any help would be appreciated

i have windows xp pro sp1
custom built comp
amd athlon xp 2400 processor
768 ram

ty

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

hi my computer is shutting down for some reason whenver i play Americas Army. that is the only time it shuts down and i or none of my friends know whats wrong here. i tried to reinstall the game and that did not work either. ever since i got this new case my computer has been restarting :-| any help would be appreciated

i have windows xp pro sp1
custom built comp
amd athlon xp 2400 processor
768 ram

ty

You may have something incorrectly lodged into your motherboard or something may have come slightly loose when you transfered cases, you could check everything is in place or take the whole thing apart and put it back together again.

What other ggames get played on your PC? Any?

Motherboard make/model and display card make/model would be handy things to know for a question such as this one.

i play warcraft 3 frozen throne diablo 2 expansion ut2004
my graphics card is a nvidia geforce fx 5200
my mother board is a lan party one....

thx for the help

I'd be suggesting you check to see if a stray screw has been lodged under the motherboard as well.

You should also check if all cards etc are firmly lodged in their slots, all connectors firmly pressed home etc etc..

What did you mean about reinstalling AA? It never fixed it? You couldn't reinstall it? It's rather strange that this relates to just a single game.

i reinstalled the game to try that out and i got it reinstalled and it still shuts down... it IS really weird but it only shuts down when i play AA.. i dont have any clue why...

ok sorry for the misunderstanding but i never actually played UT2004 w/ my new case and now that i have it made my computer shut down when i played it.. so now its only happening w/ games that have higher graphics.. im guessing... IDK :cry:

Random shutdowns and restarts usually result from only a few causes.

- Overheating. Did you assemble the system or was it prebuilt? If your system is overheating I'd guess it's the processor, as your display card is a rather low powered one. Check that the display card is firmly seated in its slot anyway, and carefully check if the processor heatsink is firmly clipped on. There should be little to no sideways 'twist' possible.

- Virus infection. Have you got up to date and updated Virus protection running on your system? A firewall?

- Memory mismatch. Try removing the 256Mb module and then giving your system a good hard workout to see if it becomes more stable. (Switch off at the wall outlet before fiddling with the internals of course) Use one module at a time only, and have it in memory slot 1. Try the othe module(s) in turn. 'Mix and match' with unbranded or different brans of RAM module can lead to memory conflicts and errors.

- Misconfigured BIOS. What is the exact model number of your motherboard please? Saying it's a 'LAN Party' one doesn't help much, because that's a product line, not a specific motherboard. It's like saying "my car is a Ford sedan".

its a nf2u4000 AGPset, ATX Socket-A w/ FSB400 etc..
Lan Party NFII Ultra B
read that from the box so i hope that works

Some answers to the other questions I posed would help please.

Do you have the lates NVIDIA Drivers and Latest DX (Direct X) version installed. Also, What happens if you try to play the game with lower resolutions.

I'm a bit bewildered how you think an older version of DirectX or display drivers would cause system shutdowns JR85023 :confused:

I can't see how those circumstances would cause the behaviour at all!

i assembled my computer with the help of my friend and yes i have mcafee but no firewall...im trying my computer with 512 ram right now oops double post

I think Cat's on point with the overheating/possible memory issues. I would also be looking at hardware on this one. Basically remove any piece of hardware you possibly can with exception of a memory stick and video card and see if you still get reboots. A rogue screw or poorly seated device could definitely cause this. You also might want to look for a BIOS update for your motherboard, you should go to the manufacturer's website and locate the latest BIOS for your motherboard and install it. Three things to look at with the BIOS:
1. Reset the CMOS by pulling the battery on the motherboard
2. chassis intrusion detection...might want to see if this is enabled although I think the CMOS reset would knock that back in line.
3. Disable acpi or "power control" settings, the setting is worded differently in each BIOS and may not even be an option on your system but if it was there I would try disabling it...considering you just got a new case it seems likely that it could be related. Did the case come with a power supply? Good luck!

i bought the power supply seperate from the case....

i think u have problem with system file.u again start installing ur xp in same folder and repair it.it will solve the problem.

I had a similar problem with my Radeon 9200 whenever I played HALO or Call to Duty.

Either your card is too low grade to play the game (which im unfamiliar with), or you simply need the new drivers for the graphics card which you can either download from the manufacturer website or (in my case anyways) the windows update center http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/default.aspx?ln=en-us

Hope this helps ^,^

hey guys i just want to thank you for all your help.. i took out my processor and put it back in and now i dont have any more shut downs... :) thx again peace out

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.