I am running windows server 2000. I am trying to publish a data base. But I have to change the default port 80 0n the Internet Informatiom Services(IIS). On the server I open the Internet Services Manager(under admin tools) Once this is open On the left I see my server. when I right click on it and hit properties. I can see the master properties then I click edit. Which brings me to the WWW Service Master Properties for my server. This is where I have my problem. Under Web Site Identification I CANNOT change the tcp port or the ip address. Yes I can see it IP address (AllUnassigned) and TCP port 80. They are greyed out. I have hit google and reviewed most of that. I have disabled the socket pooling in IIS.
Is there something in the config that I missed? Any info would be great.

Brian

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Why are you changing the WEBSERVER port for a DATABASE? They're two completely different things.

Perhaps if you explained what you're ultimately trying to do (or what you're trying to accomplish) we could provide a better answer. (I say "we" but actually mean "somebody else who knows Windows and IIS", since I don't:)

I am trying to publish my Filemaker Server database. Using Instant Web Publishing. Which will allow me 100 Internet users to connect to it. I can see the the database inhouse If I type the servers IP address. But cant connect from outside. I have read some posts that Optonline blocks port 80. And the port my filemaker software suggests is port 591. I have created a new web page in IIS using port 591 but still dont work. I think if I can change IIS default port 80(which is greyed out in the IIS web master properties) It should work. Or did I miss something??

Thanks for the reply

Brian

Wel, if you still want a webserver along with a database, you have a few options.

1. The webserver needs to stay on port 80. Find out what port the database uses. Configure your firewall rules to allow incoming connections to the database port from either the specific IP addresses, or a range of addresses, or whatever.

2. Run the database on a seperate machine if possible. Configure your firewall to pass all http traffic to your webserver, adn the database stuff to the DB machine.

3. I think you can get the point of this. Either way, you'll have to have 2 ports open - 1 port for yoru webserver, and the other for your database, whether they be on the same box or not.

When you start changing ports around for standardized protocols, you either have to have something in the middle of your servers and your clients to do the port redirection, or nobody will be able to connect.

Oh, and besides that, changing the port on your WEB server won't allow incoming traffic to your DATABASE. I'd highly recommend getting a book on Internet firewalls from O'Reilly so you can learn why that won't work, and what you can do to configure your servers to allow incoming connections to a webserver and your database.

right click my computer--select manage
click services and applications--select internet information service
click web sites and select default web site right click on that and choose properties

from that window you can manually type the port # you want

if you have a router, you will need to map your server on your router configuration.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.