Hello everyone, i recently made another post which i asked for help since i had no idea what i was going to do basically. I have decided to go with Microsoft Server 2003 OS instead of ubuntu server.

I have no idea how to work with a server os and have no time to learn since i am undertaking this task tomorrow. I would appreciate all and every help i can get.

My scenario: I am working with 4 workstations(running xp pro) and a server(glorified pc).

The network will basically be a file/printer server. I don't know anything else i can do really. Can i make an application server?

So i can just install Office on the server and won't have to install Office on all comptuers? Is that what an application server is?

Anyways, the most important questions are the following:

1) When i install server 03 os into the server machine. What do i have to do to get the workstations appear on the server to then begin placing limations on the users.

2) I want the users to log into to windows everytime they go on the computer. Nobody will have an assigned workstation so can i make a username/password for each user and store that in the server so they can use their username/password on any workstation?

3) How do i set limations on the user? Do i have to go through the group user policy to set limations on their accounts? Such as not being able to access the run, command prompt and etc...

I am really lost and would appreciate all the help i can get. Thank you guys!!

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

This seems to be a good set-up guide, appears to require some knowledge about setting up computers in general but this should be helpful http://www.visualwin.com/

Can i make an application server?

So i can just install Office on the server and won't have to install Office on all comptuers? Is that what an application server is?

Thats not what an application server is, and no.

What you need to do is configure Active Directory. Then you can set policies and roaming profiles, user accounts, etc..

You can add the file server and active directory domain controller roles via the manage your server window.

I strongly suggest, you read up on Active Directory, Group Policy, Server 03 DNS & DHCP setup. that should set you on a good start to meeting the requirements you mentioned above.

Hello everyone, i recently made another post which i asked for help since i had no idea what i was going to do basically. I have decided to go with Microsoft Server 2003 OS instead of ubuntu server.

I have no idea how to work with a server os and have no time to learn since i am undertaking this task tomorrow. I would appreciate all and every help i can get.

My scenario: I am working with 4 workstations(running xp pro) and a server(glorified pc).

The network will basically be a file/printer server. I don't know anything else i can do really. Can i make an application server?

Anyways, the most important questions are the following:

1) When i install server 03 os into the server machine. What do i have to do to get the workstations appear on the server to then begin placing limations on the users.

2) I want the users to log into to windows everytime they go on the computer. Nobody will have an assigned workstation so can i make a username/password for each user and store that in the server so they can use their username/password on any workstation?

3) How do i set limations on the user? Do i have to go through the group user policy to set limations on their accounts? Such as not being able to access the run, command prompt and etc...

I am really lost and would appreciate all the help i can get. Thank you guys!!

Everything you have talked about is standard in windows 200x server environment. Don't be chased off its not all that difficult but it will take a little tweaking to do what you want it to do completely.

no an application server will not let you load all of the apps on the server for the purpose not having to load them on to all of the workstations But the good news is, thats what Terminal Services is for. By utilizing Remote desktop which is built right into all newer versions of windows (including XP), you can log into the server (providing you have Terminal Services properly configured) and work on all of your centrally located applications and databases. the perk to that is with a dedicated public IP on there internet you can log in from remote offices or even from home. You still have to have licenses for all instances of any application you run off the server and also you will need terminal server licenses. (example: You are running 1 server and 5 workstations, you will need a 5 user license CAL, 5 Terminal Server User CAL and if you are running MS office you will need 5 Valid Office Licenses.

the nice thing about running Terminal Services is that any updates, configuration changes, adding software or what ever you want your employees to have or do, only has to be done once.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.