Hello all.

Can someone please show me how to display index.html on my home page? What my home page currently displays, is my IP address, followed by a list of all of the files currently stored inside of my root directory. Thank you.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Hello all.

Can someone please show me how to display index.html on my home page? What my home page currently displays, is my IP address, followed by a list of all of the files currently stored inside of my root directory. Thank you.

Greetings

You don't mention whether this hosted on your server or an external, third party, server. Do you know whether you are using IIS (and what version) ?

Most browsers will open index.html by default and if it has been uploaded correctly, maybe you need to check your browser settings. You don't mention how you access your home page; the web address you access your web site with, your browser, etc - have you tried opening your home page with another browser ?

keep smiling

Sorry, the index.html is to be hosted on my server, and yes, I am using IIS (not entirely sure how to find the version of IIS though).

Normally, when index.html is uploaded to the root internet directory, (something like c:/root/inet/pub) index.html is supposed to be displayed on the server's IP address. However, in my case, a list of all the contents contained in my root folder is displayed instead...

Ex:
---
The Page reads:

IP address: 48.222.92.22

Dir:
index.html
running.gif

Thank you for your help.
(Btw.. this has only been tested using internet explorer's web browser.. but I don't think the browser would make the difference in this case)

I strongly recommend first going to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and installing all service packs, hotfixes and patches that are available - purely as a safety measure

I usually create a new folder, but you could carry on with c:/root/inet/pub if you wish. What ever the name and where ever your folder, put your web site in that folder and then tell IIS this is your web site.

1. Right click on My Computer on the desktop and go to Manage. The Computer Management applet opens and IIS is found in Services and Applications. Default Web Site will appear under IIS, right click and go to Properties. This is the main section for adjusting the web site options, and it is here you will change anything to do with your site.
2. In the Description box you can type a description of your site like ‘My Web Site’ or ‘PixelExchange.com '(next time you open Computer Management, it will say your web name rather than Default Web Site - nobody looking at your site will see this name)
3. Click on the Home Directory tab and type in the path to the folder where your web site is loaded, in your case c:/root/inet/pub, in the Local Path box
4. Click on the Documents tab, ensure Enable Default Document is checked. Click on Add, type in the name of the first page you want people to see, in most cases index.html. Click OK.
5. You should return to the Computer Management window, select your site and click the play button at the top right of the window. This will start the server.
6. Open Internet Explorer and type http//:localhost/ in the location box at the top, press enter. Your website should appear and you should be able to navigate it like any other website

I hope this helps ...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.