I have a Windows Server 2008 RC server running at the moment and want to know if it's a good idea to create a non-administrator user account to access the server for things like FTP.
It is only myself and another person who will be accessing the server via FTP, but I would like to know whether it is good practice to create a non-administrator account on the "User Accounts" section of the server in order to create login details for my FTP server?
Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Member Avatar for Unhnd_Exception

Creating a non Administrative account is a great idea. You should always follow the principle of least privileges. Only allow access to what is needed.

commented: wish i would have learned this alongggg time ago +5

Creating a non Administrative account is a great idea. You should always follow the principle of least privileges. Only allow access to what is needed.

Okay, great. I'll make myself and my fellow administrator a normal user account to access FTP and other such protocols to improve security!

i know this thread is solved - unhnd exception nailed it. but i wanted to add a small addition to it.

where i work we have a windows domain with roughly 100 a/d users
One one a/d user is actually an administrator

i dont allow myself or my coworkers to be administrators for security reasons. There is one admin account and only one that can be used if needed.

personally i feel that this is a good practice and adds an extra layer of security

commented: I agree, as little privileges as possible. +1
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.