I know it's possible to install WHS on a virtual machine with VMWare Workstation, versions 6 and 8. But the question that I have is more of how to do something with that virtual drives for the VM.

If anyone knows, is there a possible way to RAID two virtual drives in a manor that they will then have a copy on one drive then the other?

If not then I'll just resort to scheduled shutdowns of the WHS VM and batch copy the "*".vmdk files from the VM Drive location to a storage location and rename them as they finish the copy so the VM starts back up with little to no issue.

Thanks ahead of time for the assistance.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I just want it to stay as one machine...

One machine, OS.vmdk and then the two DATA.vmdk Drives... But I want the DATA.vmdk drives to be set in RAID to be mirrored if possible.

What I mean is, if all you are after is a backup of the drive. Clone the VM, then power off the clone and backup THAT vmdk file.

Sorry I was looking at that in a different way. I was more focused on doing RAIDed VM Drives...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.