i typed nslookup in cmd in windows server 2008 it shows error message as
dns request time out
default server unknown
address::1
i configured forward and reverse look up zone what should i do know???

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

First, check to make sure that your client is configured with the correct TCP/IP client DNS settings. Are you trying to resolve a host name from a zone stored on that DNS server? If so, make sure that you validate that the zone is there and that you have created the records you want to resolve to IP addresses. Make sure that you have the appropriate reverse lookup zone. If you want to have the DNS server resolve in the NSLOOKUP command prompt, make sure that you have a PTR record in the reverse lookup zone for the IP address of the DNS server mapping back to a valid host name.

ok my doubt is should we have clients as domain to make ns look up??/

Clients do not need to be domain members to do dns lookups.

what ITG is saying is you need to make sure that the IP address of the DNS server is listed as the client's DNS server IP. You check this with IPCONFIG /ALL at the sommand prompt.

Next is to make sure the DNS server is running on the host and that a zone is created for your fqdn (i.e. mycompany.com exists as a zone on the server).

ok i just did the following steps just say where iam wrong?/
1. i just changed the ip address to 10.10.10.5 -class a
2.using dcpromo i installed dns
3.i saw in forward zone was automatically configured
4.in reverse zone i gave new zone and gave net-id
5.And in reverse zone i gave new ptr and browse the host and entered the net id
6.in cmd prompt i typed nslookup and got error message

dns request time out
default server unknown
address::1
i configured forward and reverse look up zone what should i do know???

what is the step i missed ??/

Do you have an A record setup for you server IP? And your reverse lookup setup, should look something like 10.10.10.in-addr.arpa

record for server ip??? i didnt get u

You have to have an "A" Record associated to an IP address so the server knows how to associate the name to IP

@rithish, it appears that you may not be very familiar with concept of DNS or the use TCP/IP utilities to troubleshoot/test for DNS name resolution.

The general idea about DNS is to resolve hostnames to IP addresses. IN DNS you have forward (name to IP) and reverse (IP to name) lookup zones. NSLOOKUP is just one tool that you can use to query a DNS server. When you open NSLOOKUP, one of the first things that the tool tries to do is give you information about the DNS server you are connecting to. In DNS you should have both a forward and reverse record so for this DNS server. It is not required as NSLOOKUP will work the same, but it resolves the issue/concern you have in your question.

Information about how to use nslookup for DNS: http://www.itgeared.com/articles/1125-using-nslookup-to-troubleshoot-common/

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.