Hi Guys, I want to start some trainings on windows server, and wondering to know what kind of networking prior background knowledge do i need to have to start with Windows Server.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

How Networks work, basic topology info, what a Tree & Forest is. Most of this is available on the microsoft.com & cisco website. Videos on Youtube are going to be a hit or miss.

You should also look into working with Linux servers, since more servers run Linux, than Windows, for stuff like PBX, Web servers, database, etc.. You can even run domains through Samba, so knowing both types, helps if you plan on using this education for a job later on.

I used to teach MCSE classes back in the day. Those students who would come in with little networking knowledge had a tough time during the courses.

I always recommend starting with coursework that aligns with the CompTIA A+ and Network+ tracks before jumping into Windows Server training courses. Be very weary of training schools (boot camps). I don't recommend that training path for a beginner. Actually I don't recommend those boot camps at all.

Classroom courses offered at the local community colleges are great because the classes are cheaper and extended over a longer period allowing time to learn. There are lots of self paced online courses as well.

YouTube is good for filling in the gaps. Leaning an with unorganized, unstructured set of videos is challenging.

Thank you, it's a college and Centre for Professional Legal Studies acredited from microsoft and Cisco.
I have start studying Computer sciencces and Enginnering on that college and there is a 20 %sale for the college students, want to attend it but not much networking knowledge.

Another Question:
as i mention that i am studying Computer Science and Enginnering , and i choose Software and System Enginnering as my headship, do you think is good idea or not starting also on windows server trainings, or its better just to be focused on programming. As programming language there we started with C# and as i saw the program all the time we will be on microsoft platform like later asp.net, database Sql server and so...

i have checked some online video trainings like CBTNuggets,Trainsignal, and also i am planning to get an account in pluralsight for programming training, what do you think about them.

Kleon, any school that states that they guarentee you will get a job through them, forget that. The best thing to do, is get into mobile apps, mobile security, the Blackhat stuff, which pays top dollar.

Also stuff like PBX equipment, which most farm out to companies like Verizon, ATT to program their equipment, vs. having someone in house that knows the systems, can land you a pretty good gig.

The money though is in security side of networking, along with Malware debugging.

The Cisco stuff that is out there for free is really good, Microsoft since they downgraded Technet, a lot of their stuff is now getting out in the wild, that you had to pay for before.

Still go after the Linux side. As I stated before, that is where the money is going to be made, along with the mobile OS (Android, Windows embedded, iOS, Windows 8 apps for the Surface), which will be making you the bucks, not desktop OS's, like Windows.

Android, Linux & Chrome OS are going to explode here soon in growth, because adoption for the mobile platform is growing, and those segments need people that understand the background, and securing of the platforms, along with use on VPN.

It depends on if you like Programming or want to lean toward systems engineering. Which feels easier and more like fun, or do you get the most satisfaction when you complete the project?

If you are on the fence, grab a "Mastering Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2" book by Mark Minasi. If you have a lab or way to run the examples in the book and enjoy it all the way through, there are hundreds of relatively inexpensive options.

Most colleges do NOT have a specific course of study for windows servers, they lean toward Linux or Unix but I work with both and they are more alike now than ever before. Start with the one and if you still want to continue after the one book, then jump back on and you will get tons of opinions on which way to continue.

Good luck.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.