Hello,

I would need some help/hints/tips for installing MSSQL server 2008 on a Windows Server 2003.
Details: I want to work with virtual machines. My computer is an old one, not able to virtualize x64 machines. That's why I use Win server 2003 32 bit with MSSQL server 2008 R2.
My problem is that, when I install the SQL server it installs active directory, and I don't want that. I just need a virtual SQL server. Later I may want to install some other servers like a web server, but this is not a problem (yet).
What is triggering the AD install? Or should I try an older SQL version like 2005 or 2000?

Any help/link/tutorial would be good. The ones I found were not helpful.
Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Sounds like you are running Windows Server 2003 Small Business Edition. If that is the case, there are several roles that get installed on that version.

What is triggering the AD install? Or should I try an older SQL version like 2005 or 2000?

Normally SQL does not install Active Directory. there is no dependency on AD for SQL to work.

Yes, I have the small business edition.
I don't know about those roles, but it starts "Installing Active Directory".
Is there any other option for having a server with MS SQL? I need it for personal purposes, like improving my programming skills :)

Can someone post some links which can help me install the server? I tried some but no luck so far.

There are other options. For example, you can download Server 2012 for a 6 month trial, and also get SQL server Express edition.

Microsoft also has TechNet labs where you can practice on their virtual servers in the cloud.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/evalcenter/dn205302.aspx

Thanks for the tip with TechNet :)
My main problem still stands... As I wrote in the first post, I HAVE TO virtualize as I lack the second machine to work with. My actual configuration can't handle 64 bit virtualization. That's why I've tried the 2003 Server version...
A friend will try something and MAYBE he will be able to solve my problem. He used to work as network & server admin.
If I'll get some nice results I'll post here.

You can get a copy of 2008 Server x86 (32bit) here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8371

Its a trial version that can be extended up to 240 days total. That should give you plenty of time for your testing, I assume.

Otherwise, the alternatives are upgrade your hardware to support x64, or get a TechNet/MSDN subscription that will give you access to all full verions supported OSs, etc..

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.