Hello All,
I recently purchased a used pc that has no installed os or software. However there is a licence key on the pc for windows vista home premium. A firend has a vista home premium disc, and I was wondering if I could use his disc and just put in my key at intallation? Anybody know if this would work?
thanks

rebecca.schoeldgen commented: 7Q96R-CM9RB-2J9R4-8MP4B-6HFMX +0

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

I would be surprised if it did work. I think that each key might be unique to each disc (for home users at least) - to prevent piracy. I might be wrong here though

commented: How did you get so many posts so fast? Pass me, and I'll rep you down on the forums :P. Consider this a warning +3

I would be surprised if it did work. I think that each key might be unique to each disc (for home users at least) - to prevent piracy. I might be wrong here though

WRONG!

I would be surprised if it DIDN'T work! So long as your key is, in fact, legit, it will install and activate. Remember Vista's protection scheme checks product keys, and not byte code.

EDIT: I re-read your post, so my last EDIT was moot. Yes, so long as you dont change too much of the hardware on it, and so long as the seller hasn't transfered the license to a different computer.

You can also install Vista without a license and use it for 30 days.

commented: Good answer!Thanks for the warning lol +2

You can use the key with any Home Premium disc. You're even allowed to buy another copy and change your key after it's been installed (don't know why they have this feature, but it can be useful if you need a quick install but don't have a new key handy).

commented: Thanks for your help Infarction +1

Thanks to All who replied to my question. Unfortunatley when I double checked, the disk I have access to is NOT the home premium version as I thought, but vista ultimate. So I guess I'll have to try to find a home premium disc somewhere to use. But at least I have confidence that if I do find one it will work.

The ultimate disk will work fine. The product key is what determines which version of vista is installed. I know this for a fact as the notebooks we received for work have vista business license stickers on them but our corporate it group installed win xp on them. I bought a notebook drive and swapped it with the company's drive; installed vista business with my vista ultimate disk I have for my home desktop. Worked perfectly.

commented: You are right. +3
commented: Thanks Laser, problem solved! +1

I think You should contact with the Microsoft Global Technical Deparment
(1800111100) From BSNL & MTNL !

Thanks or the tip Laser, I'll give it a try.

commented: Yes, Laser is right. +3

The Vista Ultimate disc did seem to work with my home premium key, just as Laser predicted. Thanks for the help.

Me too.
I installed Fedora on my ASUS laptop and it's lovely. But I plan to sell it now and I know it will sell much faster with Windoooooooooos.
Blew away the RP. Now I need a Vista Premium (I have the license) disk. It came with 32-bit which was stupid being that it's a 64-bit system.
I thought you could download Windows versions from Microsoft and make your own CD/DVD. I have a Microsoft professional account (not technet), but it does open more areas. But nagivating the site is making me rip my hair out.
Anyone have the link to downloading full ver Vista Premium 64-bit??????
I will be forever grateful and install any Linux version on your computer for free in return to replace Windooooos. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
If I have to call the Microsoft robot I will slit my wrists.....

I recently purchased a used pc that has no installed os or software. However there is a licence key on the pc for windows vista home premium. A firend has a vista home premium disc, and I was wondering if I could use his disc and just put in my key at intallation? Anybody know if this would work?

Should work fine :).

Well the heck with it, I got the iso from my favorite RS site. Hopefully virus free. I won't pay a cent for licensed software I already own.
BTW, yes any disk will work for the version you have a license for.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.