There is no sound when playing a dvd on media player 11. CDs play ok, speakers work ok. Operating system Vista basic 32bit. a new lap top. Any tips, please? Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

Most probably you're just missing a codec, try installing this codec pack [link], or try using VLC Player.

Yes, wmp11 has vital DVD codecs missing, silly really as many people liek yourself will play dvds via their PCs using wmp. The codecs are wide spread though so there is many places you will be able to download the required codecs.

commented: don't be a d1ck... NO media player has EVERY codec available, especially as some codecs are propietary! +1

Try this trick,,, While,,, you are listining or watching through your laptob speakers immediately go to sound proprties -playback - set default (realtek digital output) that will connect your audio directly through your HDMI to your lcd tv good luck

There is no sound when playing a dvd on media player 11. CDs play ok, speakers work ok. Operating system Vista basic 32bit. a new lap top. Any tips, please? Thanks

you might want to check if your media player lacks some codecs to play the audio. You can search them on the net, or you can easily download VLC. It's a media player that plays almost every format, is a very simple media player, but it works very well. No codecs needed.

maybe problem also comes from driver...
just guessing..

The poster had this problem 5 months ago, on the Jun 17th, 2009, he was offered two suggestions and has not posted back. He has either fixed his problem or given up. He may have never come back to this site again.

Look for a new posting and try and help someone that has a current problem.

What's wrong with you ppl? The man said that all have been working fine until one day. Why every time someone asks why there is no sound in WMP the given answers are always "reinstall/update drivers" or "install codecs"?

Ok, here's the thing. I have been having the same issue in Windows 7 (both x86 and x64). The first time I ignored the problem and just used VLC as my default video player since I rarely use WMP anyways. This led to a WMP corrupted dtabase issue and ended in a complete corruption on my user account and OS in whole. After I reinstalled the OS I started to watch more carefully what happens. Here are my observations:

1. What actually causes the issue in the first place is that from some point when you start a DVD, AWI or any other video associated with WMP by double clicking (or any other automatic WMP launch action) WMP opens not only the video player but also a photo viewer which becomes invisible as soon as the player starts. From this point the sound disappears and what users can see is simply no sound in videos. The solution here would be to close the video player and then kill the photo viewer process from the task manager (the viewer will be there and it shouldn't) and any other media player process you see there. There should be no WMP applications opened at this moment (check the task manager to be sure that nothing is running in background). Then try to run WMP directly and then launch the AWI, DVD or whatever thingy from the WMP menus. This way it seems to work.

2. Another thing I would recommend is to restore the media library often. To do this just select "Tools -> Advanced -> Restore media library..." from the main menu in WMP. And for the love of god do NOT use the WMP media library. There are plenty of awesome software which is much better and less bugged like: iTunes, WinAMP, WMP Classic, VLC, etc.

3. Yes, actually it would be a good thing to install the latest K-Lite Codec Pack. Not as a solution to the problem, but as an update to some codecs you might be missing in WMP, and to be sure that the problem is not with any codec but with the "Worst Media Player" ever created.

What's wrong with you ppl? The man said that all have been working fine until one day. Why every time someone asks why there is no sound in WMP the given answers are always "reinstall/update drivers" or "install codecs"?

You clearly didn't understand his problem. He got a new laptop (which by default wont always have all the codecs installed), so that's nearly always the problem.

Also, the OP posted this question over 6 months ago, so what's wrong with you? Check thread dates before posting in them, I'm sure he's resolved it now.

Also, the OP posted this question over 6 months ago, so what's wrong with you? Check thread dates before posting in them, I'm sure he's resolved it now.

It was not so about answering the 1st question (exacty because of the post date) but more about sharing my own experince and the answer to the question i couldn't find anywhere in the web but which not only i had experienced with windows 7. This community is not a normat hot forums site, old threads here are updated rarely and consulted even a year after the first post.

i have same problem i rent my laptop from rent a center i have an Acer thanks

Go to sound (right click speaker icon in right hand taskbar) Open volume mixer and double click on digital device.

This brings up a box with digital output properties. Click on advanced tab and de-select the tickbox which says "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device"
Left click apply box then OK box and this should solve your problem.

Nothing to do with missing codecs.
The problem is with windows media player default settings.
Right click the sound icon in the taskbar (speaker) Left click playback devices and double click on digital audio icon, which should be the default (ticked) icon.
Select Advanced tab (at top)and untick (deselect) "allow applications to take exclusive control of this device".
Left click apply then OK, restart windows media player and problem solved!

Thread is old but I have to tell you that Akaine's solution (which I found no-where else on the web) works perfectly
i.e. Insert DVD audio disk > when WMP opens, close it > open WMP from the Taskbar > click Play > DVD. q.e.d.
I make this comment simply because nobody else has (apparenly). Thanks Akaine.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.