Hi everyone. I'm new here and so desperate for help! I found some advice on this forum that seemed to work for people so thought this would be the best place to go! :)

I've just discovered the "This device cannot start. (Code 10)" on my cd/dvd drive and have searched for how to fix this online, following these instructions:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

which basically tell me to go on regedit, follow the folder and then delete upperfilters and lowerfilters from a specific folder. My problem is, I did this earlier on tonight, and then uninstalled my driver and rebooted my PC. Before I did this it didn't say there was a problem with my drive, it just didn't work. But now its saying I have that problem, so I went into the correct folder, only there are no Upperfilters or Lowerfilters anywhere, so nothing to delete!

sooo now I have no idea how to fix it and its driving me craaaazy!

I just restarted my PC, and under 'Device Manager' where I did see the CD/DVD drive name with the triangular ! sign, it has now dissapeared :S

can anyone help me? also I apologise if I have posted this in the wrong place!

thankyooou!

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

did you try clicking on the "fix it for me button" in the link you gave?

Yeah I did but it said it didn't need to be fixed :S

What happens when you insert a CD?

Do you have any bootable CD's?

What happens when you insert a CD?

Do you have any bootable CD's?

When I first put a cd in it will make a few noises but then not do anything at all.

Do you mean like a recovery disc? I had one of those but when I had to send my laptop away to the TechGuys they asked for it and I never got it back :-/

When I first put a cd in it will make a few noises but then not do anything at all.

Do you mean like a recovery disc? I had one of those but when I had to send my laptop away to the TechGuys they asked for it and I never got it back :-/

Your going too need that recovery disc back sometime you will want too get it back or burn a fresh copy.

There could be something up with your CD/DVD drive a bootable CD would test to see if it was still working.

The only other thing I could recommend is to remove the cables to the drive reboot, turn the PC off and reconnect ensuring cables are correctly connected. I can't think of anything else at the moment.

You could get the computer to re-detect your optical drive. I'm assuming that it definitely doesn't show up in Device Manager.

So you would do Control Panel/Add Hardware --> Next --> Search for & Install the hardware automatica\lly (Recommended)

If that doesn't work you could try and install by selecting from a list. But come back to us with the results of your attempt.

Actually I had a similar issue. Deleting filters did not help, ultimately had to reload the OS. Before you do that though, try the system in Safe Mode and see if it works. Also, try using System Restore to roll back the system to a point where it was working and see if that helps.

Hi there,

Refromatting the computer must bne considered as the last resort.

Try uninstalling the optical disc drive driver.

Just got to the device manager > CD DVD ROM Drive > right click at the drive and Uninstall.

Restart the computer it should be installed back.

Hi there,
Consider the recovery process as the last resort.

This is still a software because of the exclamation mark you saw.

Try:

Device manager > CD DVD ROM drives > right click at the disc drive > uninstall > restart.The driver will be installed back.

Try to update the BIOS from the OEM site.

Hi there,
Consider the recovery process as the last resort.......

I thought you said that "refromatting" was the last resort? The poor OP must be staying away in confusion!

Hello Suspishio,

It is always a last resort. Based on my experience as a tech support
if this is indeed a software issue it will be very very hard to pinpoint. That is just a suggestion.

Hello Suspishio,

It is always a last resort. Based on my experience as a tech support
if this is indeed a software issue it will be very very hard to pinpoint. That is just a suggestion.

What is the last resort? Recovery or "refromatting"? They are different as you know and reformatting needs to be the last resort.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.