yesterday i downloaded a game and it had viruses in it. Suddenly my system failed and it shutdown.I tried opening vista, but a black screen appeared and i waited but did not open.I tried starting in safe mode and it worked.How to open vista in normal mode?

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Try running an anti-virus while in safe mode, and see if it detects anything.

i checked and cleaned all viruses but it did not start in normal mode

i checked and cleaned all viruses but it did not start in normal mode

Damage already done by the virus. Windows needs to be repaired.

yesterday i downloaded a game and it had viruses in it. Suddenly my system failed and it shutdown.I tried opening vista, but a black screen appeared and i waited but did not open.I tried starting in safe mode and it worked.How to open vista in normal mode?

OK, for starters, how do you even know it was a virus? Most malware on the float today are NOT designed to out-right decimate your system (more focus on remaining anonymous at present), so please don't assume this is the cause. It may well be the case that installed game is not fully compatible with OS build (or just crap) and is playing havoc with with your vid-card drivers.

First thing to try is simply loading in safe mode and uninstalling the game. If that doesn't reset issues, again boot in Safe Mode and use Sys Restore and dial back prior to game install.

Failing either fix, again in Safe Mode, completely strip vid-card driver/support utilities, and re-install

To build on both what I said earlier and what kaninelupus has just said:

Windows can boot into Safe Mode but not normally because a driver won't load properly (kaninelupus) or the virus has done its damage (me).

So, in Safe Mode, there's no harm doing kaninelupus' suggestions first, restoring your video drivers. Frankly I would repair Windows because that'll reconstruct your drivers as well as anything a virus might have damaged.

So, in Safe Mode, there's no harm doing kaninelupus' suggestions first, restoring your video drivers. Frankly I would repair Windows because that'll reconstruct your drivers as well as anything a virus might have damaged.

Am I missing some new advancement in performing a Windows Repair? Admittedly has been some time since needed to make use of that method (circa XP), but ALL info have encountered on the topic suggests such a method restores original Windows files from the Windows install disk (usually removing any SP's and updated sys files introduced after the point of install). As vid-drivers are not native to Windows, not sure how it will reconstruct or restore them. It may well restore video settings, but as most gpu-driver applications alter default Windows settings, reinstalling the driver-package would likely be required anyhow.

Windows would then detect the hardware and apply whatever drivers it finds on the file system (which is not overwritten by a repair) or it will prompt the user for a driver location.

Windows would then detect the hardware and apply whatever drivers it finds on the file system (which is not overwritten by a repair) or it will prompt the user for a driver location.

True, but that's a little different. Semantic I know, but at least know now what you meant :) Might well create more work for the OP though if is a simple issue of vid-card failure (remember all the updates and SP's get stripped, so can take up a lot of time and IPS DL limits likely to be chewed up).

To the OP, if is simply a vid-card driver issue, may even be the perfect time to ensure you have the latest drivers, as driver upgrades usually refine performance anyhow, as well as often improving stability.... worth considering.

or another possibility,
when you get to the desktop
press the win(key w/ windows logo on it)+R
type in "msconfig" and press enter
user account control won't come up as you are in safe mode
make sure "Normal Startup" is selected, apply, ok, restart
see if that fixes ur problem

Have you tried:

1.System Recovery (NOT RESTORE)
2.sfc /scannow

FYI, if safe mode is working ok, you CAN get normal mode to work.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.