I am told that you can upgrade Windows 7.0 RC to Windows 7.0 Final version.
I only see an upgrade to Ultimate is there a workaround to go to Windows 7.0 Professional.
I have a HP Pavillion a1410n Desktop and it came with XP the restore discs are XP.
I have Win 7 RC installed and all is well but it is a MEDIA CENTER version and if I do a sustom or clean install I will loose all of the other programs.
HELP!

Recommended Answers

All 21 Replies

I only see an upgrade to Ultimate is there a workaround to go to Windows 7.0 Professional.

not sure ,but i think you are right ,you could upgrade to Ultimiate .
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/upgrade-considerations.aspx

I have a HP Pavillion a1410n Desktop and it came with XP the restore discs are XP.

not sure what difference that would make

I have Win 7 RC installed and all is well but it is a MEDIA CENTER version and if I do a custom or clean install I will loose all of the other programs.
HELP!

also not sure what difference it makes that its a media center addition ,I have win7 ultimate and it has windows media ,yes if you do a full install you will lose all program you installed since you installed the RC edition .

Well I am more confused and so I will have to use a clean install. Will it remove the partition or will it just leave the files and Iwill have to reinstall everything but it does not reformat?
The reason it makes a difference to me for it to be or not to be a Media Center is that there are other programs that came witht the Pc for MyDVD and so on that will be wiped and they are on the restore discs which you can not use. Did I say it better so you understand why it matters to me? Otherwise I have to BUY a similar program. BUY being the key word.

Well I am more confused and so I will have to use a clean install. Will it remove the partition or will it just leave the files and Iwill have to reinstall everything but it does not reformat?

if you have files that you can use to reinstall programs you want like for your dvd ,them why don't you back them up to a dvd now so you will have them to reinstall after the win7 install .
I don't know what you use you dvd for but i burn ISO files mostly ,but i also backup file to dvd and play dvd movies and didn't have to buy any programs to do so .win7 does it all for me .
nor sure if the install will remove and create a new partition but it will definitely format it ,and you will loose all file currently on the partition .thats why they call it a clean install .

Iget the clean install I make my own PC's and repair them. I just thjought that as before, if I reinstalled Windows over Window it just destroyed the registry settings but installed over the C:\Windows\ directory and left all other files and folders in place. Guess not, they messed up the transition from XP to Win 7 for millions thansk BILL GATES you you make millions messing up millions. Par for his course.
Thanks for your info.
Jim

currently i am using win7 utimate.
all is good but win media center get a little pb
sometimes when i click it,especially maximise it,screen turn into black box.what shall i do?

You could go into the RC shrink the partiton to as small as it will go, create a new partiton and install win 7 to that new partition. It would depend on the size of your hard drive weither or not this option is viable.

You should be able to assume ownership of some files from your RC install like videos music etc and transfer them to the new install of win 7. You will have to install the programs again though.

You could then format the partiton and reuse it. Personally I have a partiton for MEDIA so if I reinstall windows it's still there, it also saves space if you have multiple operating systems.

This is an alternative to caperjack's suggestion. Backing up is always a good idea anyway.

- let us know how it goes.

I have Win 7 RC installed and all is well but it is a MEDIA CENTER version and if I do a sustom or clean install I will loose all of the other programs.
HELP!

FYI, you can't upgrade directly from the release candidate to the final release.
You might find this helpful;
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/3075/how-to-upgrade-the-windows-7-rc-to-rtm/

Adamsappleone:
This is the result on how to geek's method...........

Windows 7 Ultimate cannot be upgraded to Windows 7 Professional. You can choose to install a new copy of Windows 7 Professional instead, but this is different from an upgrade, and does not keep your files, settings, and programs. You’ll need to reinstall any programs using the original installation discs or files. To save your files before installing Windows, back them up to an external location such as a CD, DVD, or external hard drive. To install a new copy of Windows 7 Professional, click the Back button in the upper left-hand corner, and select “Custom (advanced)”.

What program do you use to shrink the partition? Is it FREE?

You could go into the RC shrink the partiton to as small as it will go, create a new partiton and install win 7 to that new partition. It would depend on the size of your hard drive weither or not this option is viable.

You should be able to assume ownership of some files from your RC install like videos music etc and transfer them to the new install of win 7. You will have to install the programs again though.

You could then format the partiton and reuse it. Personally I have a partiton for MEDIA so if I reinstall windows it's still there, it also saves space if you have multiple operating systems.

This is an alternative to caperjack's suggestion. Backing up is always a good idea anyway.

- let us know how it goes.

Can I delete that partition and use the whole drive again?

What program do you use to shrink the partition? Is it FREE?

Can you reformat and shrink the partition so you can make it one drive?

you sure are full of questions .lol ,
win vista and win7 will shrink the drive for you, go to disk management, in control panel, admin tools and you can do it there,just right click on the drive and chose your options .
careful when loading win7 that you chose the correct partition

yes,just format and then you expand the other partition to make it one again

Iget the clean install I make my own PC's and repair them. I just thjought that as before, if I reinstalled Windows over Window it just destroyed the registry settings but installed over the C:\Windows\ directory and left all other files and folders in place. Guess not, they messed up the transition from XP to Win 7 for millions thansk BILL GATES you you make millions messing up millions. Par for his course.
Thanks for your info.
Jim

i have only installed a few time so far but you know i think it dos if it finds a windows installed it will create a windows.old folder with all the files

Thanks for your input I really am grateful to many of you on this site. JHolland for one.

you sure are full of questions .lol ,
win vista and win7 will shrink the drive for you, go to disk management, in control panel, admin tools and you can do it there,just right click on the drive and chose your options .
careful when loading win7 that you chose the correct partition

I like windows 7 and It is really good operating systems. It is better than previous all operating systems of Microsoft. I like the most feature of windows 7 is touchscreen. It is amazing feature. It is saving our time.It is faster than windows XP and windows Vista. It is also supporting the ext2/ext3. Windows vista is failure operating systems.

I thought so. An old folder is good I did that and had all of the files and settings in the Documents and settings folder. I then trasfered the my documents to documents and have DVDs but did not need them. One bummer in another persons suggestion.
In Admin Tools there is no C: or D: and it shows all files in the Windows Explorer. It only shows my E: drive which is my storage drive. C and D Drives are my boot drive and the HP System partition to restore back to XP. Nah NO HAPPENING. Any help? Anyone who reads this. Who turned it off in Admin......Disc Management.......NOT ME!

i have only installed a few time so far but you know i think it dos if it finds a windows installed it will create a windows.old folder with all the files

In Admin Tools there is no C: or D: and it shows all files in the Windows Explorer. It only shows my E: drive which is my storage drive. C and D Drives are my boot drive and the HP System partition to restore back to XP. Nah NO HAPPENING. Any help? Anyone who reads this. Who turned it off in Admin......Disc Management.......NOT ME!

not sure what you mean but ,
when i installed it created a windows.old folder in the root of C:\If you go to mycomputer and double click on the harddrive icon,thats the root of c:\, the windows.old folder it there!

No, No, No, you have it wrong I can see the C and D drive in the Windows explorer NOT in the Computer Management/Disc Management section of Admin Tools. In Disc Management it shows only my E drive which is my terabyte for storage.

not sure what you mean but ,
when i installed it created a windows.old folder in the root of C:\If you go to mycomputer and double click on the harddrive icon,thats the root of c:\, the windows.old folder it there!

No, No, No, you have it wrong I can see the C and D drive in the Windows explorer NOT in the Computer Management/Disc Management section of Admin Tools. In Disc Management it shows only my E drive which is my terabyte for storage.

weird

What is weird? I was told at Tom's Hardware that the uper and lower filters have to be deleted. I will let you know.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.