I have an old icon program with icon in .dll format. The program installs ok in windows 7 home premium, but I get a message saying winodws cannot open files, not associated with anything. Is there any hope in getting this old Titan Seal Icon program to work? It has worked fine before in all earlier versions of windows, 98, ME, & XP.
RFinCC

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

The issue seems to be with the compatibility, try to run the application in Compatibility mode, here are the steps:

Step 1:

Change the compatibility mode:

1. Right click on the exe file (driver setup file).
2. Click on Properties then select compatibility tab.
3. Check the “Run this program in compatibility mode for:” option.
4. Now select windows Vista from the drop down list.
5. Click on Apply and Click OK.

Now try to install the application and check it.

If Step 1 does not resolve the issue, please proceed with Step 2.

Step 2:-

Run the program compatibility troubleshooter:

1. Click on Start, type Action Center in the start search box and press enter.
2. Click on troubleshooting in the Action Center window.
3. In the Troubleshooting window click on view all to get the list of troubleshooters.
4. From the list select the Click on Program compatibility to open program compatibility wizard.
5. Click on next, click on browse and locate the driver setup file.
6. Click on next and select Try recommended settings.
7. In the next window click on start the program button, this will start the driver installation in the compatibility mode.

At this point you will you will get a user access control prompt, please click on yes to continue.

Now check whether the issue is resolved or not. If the issue still persists, please contact the manufacturer for the Windows 7 compatible application.

Please let me know if the issue fixed.

THANKS. i'll give that a try.

This did not resolve the issue. I can install the program ok, windows sees the installed files, but I get a block message when I try to install these icons. It says windows does not see these DLL icons. It worked ok in 95, 98, me, and xp, and this is a windows program.
I would be glad to email you a copy of the program files so you can try it. My email is N7ZM@att.net, let me know by email if this is ok?

This did not resolve the issue. ?

keep it on site ,upload to a file storage site and post a link to download the files don't use email

Before performing the above steps, you need to uninstall the application completely and reinstall the application in compatibility mode.

If the above work around is not help full, we can try to use the application in XP mode which is included in Windows 7.

Before performing the above steps, you need to uninstall the application completely and reinstall the application in compatibility mode.

If the above work around is not help full, we can try to use the application in XP mode which is included in Windows 7.

you must have Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate to run Windows XP Mode,will not run in home priemum

I tried that removing and re-installing in compatable mode and windows 7 still says no icon files in dll files.
Windows 7 home prmium does not have XP mode in it, all others do like professional and ultimate version. I guess I bought the wrong version.

I tried that removing and re-installing in compatable mode and windows 7 still says no icon files in dll files.
Windows 7 home prmium does not have XP mode in it, all others do like professional and ultimate version. I guess I bought the wrong version.

if you have winxp legit copy you may still be able to use virtua; pc in win7.i know this is win vista but should still work
http://lifehacker.com/238071/geek-to-live--run-windows-xp-inside-vista-with-virtual-pc

Here are the steps to install XP mode in Win 7:

To determine whether your PC works with Windows XP Mode please check the following link and perform the steps provided:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=159846

Installing and using Windows XP Mode
To use Windows XP Mode, you need to download and install Windows XP Mode, which is a fully licensed version of Windows XP with Service Pack 3. You also need to download and install Windows Virtual PC, which is the program that runs virtual operating systems on your computer.

When you install a program in Windows XP Mode, the program becomes available for use in both Windows XP Mode and Windows 7.

Step 1: To download and install Windows XP Mode:

1. Go to the Windows XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC website, and then click Get Windows XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC now.
Please click on the following link to open Windows XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC website:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

2. Under Select your edition of Windows 7 and desired language for installation in Step 3, click the Select system drop-down list, and then click the edition of Windows 7 you're currently running.
3. Click the Select language drop-down list, and then click the language you want to use.
4. Under Download and install Windows XP Mode, click Windows XP Mode.
To find out which edition of Windows 7 you're running, click the Start button, right-click Computer, and then click Properties. The edition of Windows 7 you're running is listed under Windows edition (and 32-bit and 64-bit information appears under System, next to System type).
5. Click Open to install the program immediately; or click Save to save the installation file to your computer, double-click the file, and then click Run.
6. We recommend clicking Save and keeping the file on your computer in case you ever need to reinstall Windows XP Mode.
7. In the Welcome to Setup for Windows XP Mode dialog box, click Next.
8. Choose the location for the virtual hard disk file that Windows XP Mode uses, or accept the default location, and then click Next.
9. On the Setup Completed screen, click Finish.

Step 2: To download and install Windows Virtual PC

1. Go to the Windows XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC website, and then click Get Windows XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC now.

Please click on the following link to open Windows XP Mode and Windows Virtual PC website:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

2. Under Select your edition of Windows 7 and desired language for installation in Step 3, click the Select system drop-down list, and then click the edition of Windows 7 you're currently running.
3. Click the Select language drop-down list, and then click the language you want to use.
4. Under Download and install Windows XP Mode, click Windows Virtual PC.
To find out which edition of Windows 7 you're running, click the Start button, right-click Computer, and then click Properties. The edition of Windows 7 you're running is listed under Windows edition (and 32-bit and 64-bit information appears under System, next to System type).
5. Click Open to install the program immediately; or click Save to save the installation file to your computer, and then double-click the file.
6. Click Yes to install Update for Windows (KB958559).
7. If you accept the license terms, click I Accept.
8. After installation is complete, click Restart Now to restart your computer.

Step 3: To set up Windows XP Mode for first use

1. Click the Start button, click All Programs, click Windows Virtual PC, and then click Windows XP Mode.
2. If you accept the license terms, click I accept the license terms, and then click Next.
3. On the Installation folder and credentials page, accept the default location where Windows XP Mode files will be stored, or choose a new location.
4. Type a password, type it again to confirm it, and then click Next.
5. On the Help protect your computer page, decide whether you want to help protect your computer by turning on automatic updates, and then click Next.
6. Click Start Setup.
7. After setup is complete, Windows XP Mode opens in a separate window.

Step 3: To install and use a program in Windows XP Mode

Note : Antivirus software isn't included with Windows XP Mode. Even if your computer running Windows 7 already has antivirus software, you should also install antivirus software in Windows XP Mode to help defend your computer against viruses.

1. In Windows 7, click the Start button, click All Programs, click Windows Virtual PC, and then click Windows XP Mode.
2. In Windows XP Mode, insert the program's installation disc into your computer's CD/DVD drive; or browse to the program's installation file, open the file, and follow the instructions to install the program.
3. Installing a program in Windows XP Mode.
4. Click the Close button at the top of the Windows XP Mode window.
5. In Windows 7, click the Start button, click Windows Virtual PC, click Windows XP Mode Applications, and then click the program you want to open.

Note: If the Windows XP Mode window is open when you try opening a program in Windows XP Mode from Windows 7, you'll be prompted to close the virtual machine. Be sure to save any data you want to keep in Windows XP Mode before closing it.

Here is the link for Microsoft article for your reference:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.