Make: HP Model: dv6500 OS: Windows Vista

Hello everyone. I have a Vista computer in my hands with a funky dvd drive. It's not showing up in Vista(My computer/Device Mgr) and when I try to boot off of it from the BIOS it skips it. I'm guessing the BIOS doesn't detect it either.

It all started with some viruses. Removed em for the most part, but there is something that's not letting me browse the internet. Loopback test comes back successfully and I can ping servers just fine.

When I tried to resolve the issue by re-installing Windows I came to a bigger one. The DVD drive. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated guys!

Here is what I have done so far:

1) Restore BIOS defaults
2) System Restore
3) Ponder....
4) Event Viewer (These are some of the best I picked out)

• ID: 6 = "ACPI BIOS does not contain an IRQ for the device in PCI slot 13..."
  • ID: 7000 = "The Parrallel port driver service failed to start..."
  • ID: 7026 = "The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: cdrom

Thanks again!

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

hello ,give this a look /try.

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Reasons for this error include a driver that is not present; a binary file that is corrupt; a file I/O problem, or a driver that references an entry point in another binary file that could not be loaded.

Have you installed a 'packet driver' lately??

Possible Solution......go to Start /run/ type in ,regedit.and do the following

There are 2 reg keys that can screw the device......remove them both and reboot......

The keys are:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325 -11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} - "Upperfilters" and "Lowerfilters".

Hey caperjack, and thanks for the reply. I tried to registry fix and nothing worked. I'm going to try the factory restore which is one the hdd partition. Let's hope that works. Cheers!

Went into the recovery partition. Reinstalled Vista and still no signs of the DVD drive showing up. I'm guessing I need to replace it?

**Note the DVD Drive does power on and eject. So it works fine. The computer can't pick it up though. Seeing how everything is internal I can't really say its a cable since It's a laptop. So it has to be the drive because it's not even being picked up in the BIOS. So i guess replacing it would be the right thing to do.

Thanks for all the help! Marked solved.

I tried the regedit solution but both UpperFilter and LowerFilter are missing from the registry, what do I do to fix the missing CD/DVD ROM. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I tried the regedit solution but both UpperFilter and LowerFilter are missing from the registry, what do I do to fix the missing CD/DVD ROM. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

take it out ,and put in different cd/dvd rom ,see what happens

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.