Hi,
I have a LG netbook, which I was running a dual boot system of Ubuntu and Win7 on. I was in the process of removing ubuntu and had rewritten the MBR so the GRUB loader no longer had control. I was uninstalling ubuntu in the control panel when my computer hung up for some reason. I noticed on the progress screen it was removing the boot loader at this point in time. I had to restart my computer unfortuneatly and now my computer merely displays the LG logo and progresses no further. I cannot acces the boot menu or system utlilties using F2 or F11 or anything like that. I am in the waiting for an external dvd drive so I can attempt to use the recovery cd however if I can't access the boot menu I am not sure how I will be able to point it to the dvd drive. Any suggestions ?

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Hi,
I have a LG netbook, which I was running a dual boot system of Ubuntu and Win7 on. I was in the process of removing ubuntu and had rewritten the MBR so the GRUB loader no longer had control. I was uninstalling ubuntu in the control panel when my computer hung up for some reason. I noticed on the progress screen it was removing the boot loader at this point in time. I had to restart my computer unfortuneatly and now my computer merely displays the LG logo and progresses no further. I cannot acces the boot menu or system utlilties using F2 or F11 or anything like that. I am in the waiting for an external dvd drive so I can attempt to use the recovery cd however if I can't access the boot menu I am not sure how I will be able to point it to the dvd drive. Any suggestions ?

Can it boot a USB device? Also, it may already be set to boot from DVD when there is a bootable DVD in the drive. Do you have a Windows CD, you could use any Windows CD to boot from the DVD drive. That will let you format the drive and start from scratch with Windows 7.

It can boot from USB. I just wonder if it will even progress to the point it will even attempt to boot from the cd. Does anyone know at what point the boot process starts, is it after the manufacturer logo disapears or is it during ?

I have a USB key with linux on it that I would plug in before start up just to see if it would try and boot from that and nothing happened. After I turn on the power switch, the LG logo appears and nothing else happens, no beeps or anything like that. I am quite confident it isn't a hardware issue which is another possible suggestion I have seen online. I have also thought about pulling the hard drive and cloning a functioning OS if I can't get the computer to boot from CD. Will probably try and get ahold of a CD first.

Can it boot a USB device? Also, it may already be set to boot from DVD when there is a bootable DVD in the drive. Do you have a Windows CD, you could use any Windows CD to boot from the DVD drive. That will let you format the drive and start from scratch with Windows 7.

It boots after the manufacturer logo disappears, and if your dvd drive is first on the boot order list than it should just boot up right after the hp logo disappears, but if it is not than you may want to try resetting your CMOS battery, which is pretty difficult in netbooks and laptop.

- Quayshawn

thanks for the replies so far. My comp just sits at the LG logo and doesnt move beyond that. I actually have tried removing the CMOS battery, I had it out for half and hour and no change.

It can boot from USB. I just wonder if it will even progress to the point it will even attempt to boot from the cd. Does anyone know at what point the boot process starts, is it after the manufacturer logo disapears or is it during ?

I have a USB key with linux on it that I would plug in before start up just to see if it would try and boot from that and nothing happened. After I turn on the power switch, the LG logo appears and nothing else happens, no beeps or anything like that. I am quite confident it isn't a hardware issue which is another possible suggestion I have seen online. I have also thought about pulling the hard drive and cloning a functioning OS if I can't get the computer to boot from CD. Will probably try and get ahold of a CD first.

I would expect that, following the LG logo, if you have a bootable CD in the drive, it will ask you to hit any key to boot from the CD.

I would try that before doing anything else.

if you have someone with a computer and a burner ,get a copy of live cd KNOPPIX and boot to it to see if your computer still works and you just have a windows install problem .
http://www.knoppix.net/get.php

Try using the tools in your windows 7 disc to check for errors and fix the MBR/bootloader, after that restore grub2 by Using Ubuntu 9.10 livecd
Here assuming the Ubuntu partition is sda7 and /boot partition is sda6 (if you have a separate /boot partition).

Boot up ubuntu from the livecd,open terminal and run:
sudo -i
mount /dev/sda7 /mnt
mount /dev/sda6 /mnt/boot #skip this one if not have a separate /boot partition
grub-install --root-directory=/mnt/ /dev/sda

If you are missing “grub.cfg” file,use following to recreate:
mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
chroot /mnt update-grub
umount /mnt/sys
umount /mnt/dev
umount /mnt/procexit

After the boot command, you’ll go into grub2 menu.
Select to boot up ubuntu,and run this command to restore grub:
sudo grub-install /dev/sda

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.