Hi guys, I'm a newbie here, so please forgive me if I miss anything out.

I restored my Dell Studio laptop (Vista 32 bit) to its original factory settings the other day, after backing up all my documents etc. Everything went fine, windows and my internet browser are all looking as good as before, but for some reason the resolution of any programs I run, such as iTunes, Impulse etc, is a little fuzzy in comparison. I checked the pixel resolution and refresh rate under display settings, and both are set as they were before at 1440 x 900 and 60 hertz. But I noticed that if I changed the colors option from Highest (32 bit) to medium (16 bit) then all the program screens looked nice and sharp again, but obviously the overall graphics of windows etc were not quite as good.

Any ideas would be really appreciated

(Some additional details...
Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 @2.26GHz
3 GB RAM
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3400 Series)

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Did you try to install the latest graphics driver from ATI's website? If not this is the first thing that I would try.

Did you try to install the latest graphics driver from ATI's website? If not this is the first thing that I would try.

Yes, I tried that earlier today...no difference

check in bios for a setting to allocate more ram to be used by video

Hi,
As you have restored your system, it seems some registeries are not been updated properly. Please try to remove the graphics driver and try to reinstall it from the machine manufacturer's website. Make sure the you install the latest driver Windows Vista compatible.

Please Reply

Thanks pcs365_2! I removed the graphics driver, reinstalled it, and with a few tweaks managed to get it all sorted. Thanks again, and thanks to everyone else for your suggestions

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.