I have a Gigabyte MA790X-UD4DP socket 3 board with AMD Phen II X2 550 cpu, 2 x 2 Gb Kingston ddr2 ram and ATI 4750 1gb card and OcZ modstream power supply, all less than 12mth old. Suddenly went black screen on me and now won't boot up. Won't even get to bios and there are no warning beeps or signs it is initiating boot sequence.

Can hear and see fans for power supply, cooling, and Vid card working so assume power supply ok. Seems to me that motherboard is fried but have been told it could be memory or power supply. As I don't have spares to try I'm at a loss as to what to try.

Any help greatly appreciated. Even though every component was bought from same place and it has worked without fault for 8 mths indicating I assembled it correctly, I have been asked to pay a minimum $80 fee to trace the fault with no prospect of return once the faulty part is found - seems harsh to me as you are told all the bits are covered by wty when you buy them

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Welcome to the Forums, can you smell your computer for melting resistors?

Ok first things first,

Remove all the components in the PC, Mouse, Keyboard, camera, Scanner, Printer, Graphics Card, Ram, Modem, Hardrive, CD-Rom, w/e TAKE IT OUT.

Leave only the Processor and motherboard, with the power cables ofc.

Boot you want to hear 3 or 4 evenly spaced beeps.

This means your Mobo and processor are fine.

Now you want to add RAM and boot you want to hear 1 Single beep to tell you that your ram is fine.

From here on you keep adding your components one by one and booting. When you don't hear the Beep you found the culprit.

I bet on the VGA but keep your fingers crossed, maybe it just a case of a bad fitting of the CPU.

Can you see if the Heatsink is secure? maybe it was a thermal event.

Let me know how it goes

Peace, Enjoy.

Please mark as solved if solved.

Before stripping the mainboard of all the components (which is good troubleshooting), try some simpler troubleshooting steps like these:

reseat the RAM
reseat the graphics adaptor
reseat the SATA cables
reset the CMOS
remove the power cord, hold the power for 30 seconds and reinsert

if these don't work then strip the mainboard of all non essential parts for booting.
If it still doesn't work then you've at least narrowed it down to about 5 parts:

CPU
RAM
mainboard
PSU
graphics

Welcome to the Forums, can you smell your computer for melting resistors?

Ok first things first,

Remove all the components in the PC, Mouse, Keyboard, camera, Scanner, Printer, Graphics Card, Ram, Modem, Hardrive, CD-Rom, w/e TAKE IT OUT.

Leave only the Processor and motherboard, with the power cables ofc.

Boot you want to hear 3 or 4 evenly spaced beeps.

This means your Mobo and processor are fine.

Now you want to add RAM and boot you want to hear 1 Single beep to tell you that your ram is fine.

From here on you keep adding your components one by one and booting. When you don't hear the Beep you found the culprit.

I bet on the VGA but keep your fingers crossed, maybe it just a case of a bad fitting of the CPU.

Can you see if the Heatsink is secure? maybe it was a thermal event.

Let me know how it goes

Peace, Enjoy.

Please mark as solved if solved.

Thanks am just about to sart process. Will let you know how it goes. Much appreciated

Before stripping the mainboard of all the components (which is good troubleshooting), try some simpler troubleshooting steps like these:

reseat the RAM
reseat the graphics adaptor
reseat the SATA cables
reset the CMOS
remove the power cord, hold the power for 30 seconds and reinsert

if these don't work then strip the mainboard of all non essential parts for booting.
If it still doesn't work then you've at least narrowed it down to about 5 parts:

CPU
RAM
mainboard
PSU
graphics

Yep will do. Thanks to both of you and will keep you posted. Much appreciated

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.