hi,
I made a new partition to install vista because i wanted to make sure i would have all the files i needed before i normally would've cleaned the original partition and installed it there. I plan to keep the second partition and i would like to move memory from drive c (original) to drive e (the second). they both have vista. please help.

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Hello,

If you are after tranferring files from one partition to the other you should be able to do it through windows explorer. Click on start > computer and then you should be able to transfer the files that way.

If this is not what you are after doing you'll need to add more details.

- Let us know how it goes.

hi,
I made a new partition to install vista because i wanted to make sure i would have all the files i needed before i normally would've cleaned the original partition and installed it there. I plan to keep the second partition and i would like to move memory from drive c (original) to drive e (the second). they both have vista. please help.

I don't need to move any files. All i want to do is take some memory from my first partition and add it to the second so that i have more memory on the second.

I see so you after expanding the second partition.

What you need to do is; click on start then in the search box type disk man then click on create and format hard disk partitions.

Now right click on the first partition(C:) then select shrink volume, reduce the partition size by how much you want to expand the second partition (D:) and click ok,next,finish. Then in the disk manager right click on the second (D:) partition and select extend volume check that the partition is being extended into the free space and click ok,next,finish.

Now the first partition should have been shrunk and the second partition should have been expanded.

I see so you after expanding the second partition.

What you need to do is; click on start then in the search box type disk man then click on create and format hard disk partitions.

Now right click on the first partition(C:) then select shrink volume, reduce the partition size by how much you want to expand the second partition (D:) and click ok,next,finish. Then in the disk manager right click on the second (D:) partition and select extend volume check that the partition is being extended into the free space and click ok,next,finish.

Now the first partition should have been shrunk and the second partition should have been expanded.

Well as much as your idea sounded great, I couldn't expand the second drive. I right click and the "expand drive" option is dimmed and i can't click it. The only option i can click for the second drive is shrink...

Okay then try using this to move the second partition next to the first partition and then extend the second partition.

What you should have now is;

| Partition 1 | free space | Partition 2 |

What it should be like after moving the partition;

| Partition 1 | Partition 2 | free space |

Then extend the second partition;

| Partition 1 | Partition 2 >>>>>>>>> |

- Let us know how it goes

Okay then try using this to move the second partition next to the first partition and then extend the second partition.

What you should have now is;

| Partition 1 | free space | Partition 2 |

What it should be like after moving the partition;

| Partition 1 | Partition 2 | free space |

Then extend the second partition;

| Partition 1 | Partition 2 >>>>>>>>> |

- Let us know how it goes

Thanks it worked out great. I learned that there are two side when you resize the partition. Theres one side to move when you want to add unallocated space to the left and the other side for the right. then you take the one you want to extend at pull the tap to either side where the unallocated space is.

Nice One, if your problem is solved please mark this thread as solved.

If you need anything else you know where we are.

confused by your question

Hi sophiaya, this is a 2 year old zombie thread. :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.