Hi there I just bought a new Samsung printer model no. CLX-3180 series. It is a multifunction color laser printer. The disc that Samsung issued me with for installation is not working. I have attempted to install it by doing what it says:
1. I set up the printer and connected the printer to the wireless router via ethernet cable.
2. I searched using wireless setup option on the disk for the computer on the network. It reported back that it could not find it so I was unable to install it wirelessly as it says it is not connected to the LAN network, which it is.
3. I then plugged it in via USB and attempted to install it via the disc. This did not work so I tried to do it through windows. This worked and I was able to print from the desktop through the USB.

This is all good and well but we have 3 other computers on the network and they can't print!!!

Any help would be much appreciated :)

We have a netgear wireless router by the way we 4 ethernet ports and attempting to install on Vista. (There is another Vista computer and 2 Macs on the network)

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Member Avatar for W1ND0W5

You need a printing server. These are relatively cheap if you don't need the functionality. Some routers even have it built in.

Hi thanks that answers my question, but now I have another.

Would it be possible to connect the printer to the windows desktop computer via USB and then share the connection via a wireless network to the other computers in the house? Like a sharing group or something? I think you can do it between windows computers but would this be possible with both windows and macs?

Thanks

If you have Samba on your Macs (most do) then you can. Just make sure you have drivers for both platforms.

I had similiar problems with a dell and solved them by using the IP address of the printer (rather than its name) to talk direct to a ethernet hub and then via wireless.

M

Thats the way to go about it.

try to share your printer so that other PC can print...to do that go to control panel then go to printer right click the name of your printer then click properties select sharing..the select shared this printer... hope it works....

Hi there I just bought a new Samsung printer model no. CLX-3180 series. It is a multifunction color laser printer. The disc that Samsung issued me with for installation is not working. I have attempted to install it by doing what it says:
1. I set up the printer and connected the printer to the wireless router via ethernet cable.
2. I searched using wireless setup option on the disk for the computer on the network. It reported back that it could not find it so I was unable to install it wirelessly as it says it is not connected to the LAN network, which it is.
3. I then plugged it in via USB and attempted to install it via the disc. This did not work so I tried to do it through windows. This worked and I was able to print from the desktop through the USB.

This is all good and well but we have 3 other computers on the network and they can't print!!!

Any help would be much appreciated :)

We have a netgear wireless router by the way we 4 ethernet ports and attempting to install on Vista. (There is another Vista computer and 2 Macs on the network)

If you go to the samsung site you can download the network printer manual which should get you all the information you need to get your printer functioning as a stand alone printer that would be available to all the computers in your network.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.