Hello,

A while ago I upgraded my Windows Vista PC to Windows 7. Now it's starting to get all slow and that (it's very well used) and I feel like re-installing it from scratch. Can I re-install my Windows 7 system using the upgrade DVD I used before without a new product key or would I have to reinstall Vista and then upgrade again or something (can't do that since I have no Vista disc)?

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

it it's a win7 upgrade DVD, you would need to install vista then do the upgrade

In short terms you can easily perform clean install from upgrade media. Media is identical, so just install not entering license number, this will give you 30 days. After this the easiest metod is to activate entering your license key using slmgr utility. this ignores upgrade check.

Run command prompt as administrator then:

slmgr -ipk xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx (allows you to replace the current product key with the specified)

slmgr -ato (activates current pc’s license)

my computer is in trouble i have installed windows xp,7,vista . all 3 windows i have installed ,idont know my product key code , i need to remove 2 windows ,and i need to purchase windows 7 for free

my computer is in trouble i have installed windows xp,7,vista . all 3 windows i have installed ,idont know my product key code , i need to remove 2 windows ,and i need to purchase windows 7 for free

How do you purchase something for free?

You can purchase windows 7 for free, you need to have the disk unless you get it by illegal means which is wrong.

The word 'purchase' is used when you are going to part with money for a particular item.
If it is free, then obviously, no money exchanges hands.
To use the same words together is an oxymoron.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.