can anyone help me please?
On start up, my comp. screen goes black with message

CD-ROM BOOT PRIORITY..NO MEDIUM
REBBOT AND SELECT PROPER BOOT DEVICE
OR INSERT BOOT MEDIA IN SELECTED BOOT DEVICE AND PRESS A KEY.

I have recently had a new hard drive fitted, and had windows 7 enterprise installed.
I was previously running windows vista.

I have also had a 700w power supply fitted, previous motor was a 600w.
Before this trouble started my comp. would occasionally make a single popping like sound
itermittantly.

A friend installed both the hard drive and power motor, and the comp was working fine for about a week before this trouble occoured.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Well seems it doesn't detect your hard disk. Go to BIOS and check/change Boot Priority to boot from hard disk. If you still see the trouble check the connectivity of your Hard Disk to PC as well as check whether it receives power properly. If all are normal try to boot from the Windows CD / DVD (change the Bios settings as needed). Go to recovery mode and check whether it detects the disk.

If it detects the HDD and let you enter recovery mode, you have to use a command prompt and check whether the partition table is healthy. Just a DIR and pressing enter would do.
If you see the directory listing its fine.
If not you could do a chkdsk Partition: /f /r. Partition = the letter for Windows Partition (Make sure you are in the Windows Drive. It may become D drive since Windows 7 reserves 100mb for boot purposes. You could scan that also but not recommended) Then after the process completes type DIR and enter. Reboot and try again if fails.

If the HDD is not detected, you have to ensure that its working properly (Powered properly and not dead). Make sure that power supply is not too powerful. Otherwise you will end up with a burnt peripherals.

thanx for info. nothing seemed to work tho. fixed prob by installing vista 32 bit onto comp. for some reason my comp doesnt like windows 7 in 64 or 32 bit formats.
only seems happy with vista!! oh well, at least its working now, thanx all.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.