Going into device manager, then looking at my graphics card - It has 4 Memory Intervall and 3 I/O intervall and one IRQ.

Shouldn't it only have 1 of each?
I mean, how can it have more than 1 I/O address?

Looking at other devices in the Device manager, I find some that only has "Memory intervall" and "IRQ" at if you click on it -> propterties -> resources.
One example is the "WiFi Adapter". Doesn't it EVERYTHING need an I/O address?

Also, if you could answer this one too:

Question from a book:
"You have bought a new graphics card which you installed according to instructions from a manual. When you boot up the computer, the screen doesn't show anything. What do you do?"

The answer:
"Test the graphics card in a computer with standard VGA-drivers.
Reset the computer with the old graphics card.
If the card works with the VGA driver, it's probably something wrong with its drivers.
Try lower resolution and a smaller ammount of colors"

So my question:
Doesn't every computer have a VGA-drivers?
I thought that every computer did, and it's those drivers it uses if it can't find any graphics card?
Also, why "Reset the computer with the old graphics card"?

Just one more thing;
a page said
"Each I/O device connected to your computer is mapped to a unique I/O (Input/Output) address. These addresses are assigned to every I/O port on your computer, including USB, Firewire, Ethernet, VGA, and DVI ports, as well as any other ports your computer might have."

But a book has a few questions, the answer to some of them is "Check that there is no IRQ address conflict or I/O address conflict or DMA address conflict"
But if the I/O address is assigned to like USB ports and stuff, then how can there be a conflict?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Going into device manager, then looking at my graphics card - It has 4 Memory Intervall and 3 I/O intervall and one IRQ.

No idea! You haven't said what graphics card or windows version you have.

No idea! You haven't said what graphics card or windows version you have.

That doesn't matter!
My question was...
Shouldn't it only have 1 of each?
I mean, how can it have more than 1 I/O address?

Also, good job on answering the other questions!

Yes it does matter. Different cards work by different methods on different operating systems. Some cards have built in TV tuners. Some have a different chip to run a TV.
Some cards use a "universal" driver package that supports several different cards. Said driver packages will work in different ways depending on the windows version.

Different I/O addresses can be assigned to things like TV tuners and unusual ram setups. Some cards have an I/O address for D3D.

sounds like your reading a old book
in earlier days ,mice and modems use to have i/o and irq conflicts all the time ,person install some devices had the option to choose ,and some choices were left to windows ,and if windows chose the same one ,a conflict .

The answer:
"Test the graphics card in a computer with standard VGA-drivers.
Reset the computer with the old graphics card.
If the card works with the VGA driver, it's probably something wrong with its drivers.
Try lower resolution and a smaller ammount of colors

,what it saying here is to try the card in a computer with out the correct drivers for the card installed ,windows will use the vga default drive to show video on monitor ,meaning the card works ,so on other computer using the cards driver has a bad/corrupt driver,that will have to be uninstall before windows will attempt to use the ms vga default driver

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.