Hi
i'v recently bought a 2 year old packard bell easy note ALP-Ajax C3 laptop with windows vista, i have seen this laptop working and connect to bt broadband and go online before i bought it, but when i brought it home and tried to connect it to my virgin media router it keeps saying unidentified network and a local only access and cannot open any browsers, but the funny thing is that i have another laptop, a Fujitsu Siemens amilo and it is as old as the packard bell and running windows vista and working fine and that is how i am starting this thread.

Please if anyone can help me i would be truly great-full.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Are you trying to connect it wired or wirelessly?

What protective software has it got on it?

commented: suport wlan mobile nokia n79 +0

First is first,

Reboot the modem and router at the same time, then reboot your laptop.

Have you ever connected via the router? Is it set up? (Even if you only have local access, you can still access the wireless router settings)
If you use a wireless computer to login to the router, you will lose the connection with the wireless router because you do not setup the same WEP key in your wireless computer yet.

- You can connect by cable and ...
1. Login to the wireless router. By default, the wireless router has IP address 192.168.2.1. You can open the Internet Explorer / Firefox and in the address bar, type in click here Hit Enter.
2. The default username is admin. Password is 1234.
3. In the router setup page, click on General Setup.
4. On the left menu, click on Wireless.
5. Under Wireless, click on Security.
5. In the drop down selection box of "Encryption", select WEP.
6. Key Length 64-bit is fine. Key Format Hex is fine. Default Tx Key is Key 1.
7. Under Encryption Key 1, remove all the * and type in your 10 alphanumeric encryption key. You can use any number from 0-9 and alphabet from A-F. suggest you use 10 digital number than alphabet letters for an easier setup.
6. Click Apply to save the settings.
7. Now you've successfully set WEP encryption in the wireless router.

How do I setup WEP key in my wireless computer?

A: Below instruction is for Windows XP SP2. If you use Windows 2000 or Win 98, you will need to run the wireless utility provided by the wireless network adapter manufacturer. Please refer the user manual for your wireless network adapter.

In Windows XP SP2, click on Start -> Run. Type in "ncpa.cpl" hit Enter. You will get the Network Connection Windows. You should see the icon for Wireless Network Connection. Right click on Wireless Network Connection and select "View Available Wireless Networks".

In the new window for "Choose a Wireless Network", you will see your wireless router. For our Edimax router, the default name is "default". Select your wireless network in the list, then click on Connect. You will be prompt to type in your WEP key. Type in the 10 characters key. Under the confirm key, type in the WEP key again. Hit OK. You will connect to your wireless network. Close the "Choose a Wireless Network" window.

You may double click on the Wireless Network Connection icon. Go to Status tab. Check the IP address. If you get an IP address like 192.168.2.x, you should have Internet access.

Hope this helps.

Awaiting your reply,

commented: suport wlan mobile nokia n79 +0
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.