I'm curious if anyone has any input on this subject. With new windows 7 computers, they contain a license (sticker) on the back or side of the computer somewhere. They do not, however, contain any restore/recovery discs. These have to be created with the new computer. Most computers nowadays have a separate partition to restore windows as well.

Now, if I had a windows disc myself and wanted to do a fresh install, I could simply input that key on the bottom of my laptop. I work at a retail store and do simply PC repairs. I had to use one of those License Key identifier apps to obtain a license key because I couldn't read the entire sticker. However, I noticed the entire key was different.

I checked on my own laptop and sure enough, I have the license key that came with the preloaded windows 7 (already inputed) and a separate key with the sticker on my laptop.

In the assembly line, they probably just slap on the same image to each harddrive for the computer (I'm assuming). Does this mean the same license key for windows is usable? Or is each computer sent with a separate product key? Any thoughts?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Product keys are usually either Retail (ones that comes with copies of windows purchased individually) or OEM. The one you have on the sticker under your laptop is an OEM product key. You are correct in assuming that they use the same image on the laptops that they manufacture. As for the OEM product key, they are basically just a reference that your copy is licensed and not a pirated copy. These are usually pre-activated already. As far as I know these product keys do not work in new installs.

I checked on my own laptop and sure enough, I have the license key that came with the preloaded windows 7 (already inputed) and a separate key with the sticker on my laptop.

this should not have been the case ,when you bought the laptop was it already setup or were you the first to turn it on and run the windows setup ,it should have used the same key as the one on the sticker .

In the assembly line, they probably just slap on the same image to each harddrive for the computer (I'm assuming). Does this mean the same license key for windows is usable? Or is each computer sent with a separate product key? Any thoughts?

yes they do but its only the setup .it then need to be finshed by the orignal owner ,a lot of box store computer shops charge crazy amounts of money to do this for customers who know no better .i never buy a laptop that has allready been setup ,future shop has a 14 day return policy ,and people buy laptop use it for 2 weeks and return it ,future shop reloads and resells it as new laptop ,tried to charge me to have it setup,when i refused ,they then told me it was a open box,not new ,i told them to shove it and left the store ,vowing to never return

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.