Hi DaniWeb Family !
I have a Dell Inspiron laptop , 64 bit system with Windows 7 on it.
For some strange reason, I turned on the laptop and I can't go on Google , any more.. I can go on any other website, but just not Google.
When I try to go on Google, I get a " HTTP 400 Bad Request" error. Down below that it says, " The webpage cannot be found".
I ran CCleaner, Eusing Registry Repair, and I went on line an did a virus scan on Eset.com. Eset scan showed no viruses. I also ran Malwarebytes and it showed one item......
Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\OLT.exe (Security.Hijack) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
That didn't help the situation so I'm turning to you.
Has ayone got any suggestions on how to get to where I can go on google.com ?

Recommended Answers

All 23 Replies

hi, if your using IE as you browser .open it go to tolls /internet options ,and check to delete temp internet files

Thank you for your reply. I deleted the temp files as you said and I still get the same results.

1)Can other browsers works?
2)Go update your systems for windows 7, block pop up blockers and ads as this may cause the problem.
3)Make sure firwall is turn on.
4)Do a ping test on Google and see how many packets of data are received and sent.

Thank you for your reply. I deleted the temp files as you said and I still get the same results.

check the security settings in internet option and make sure google is not in a block list
what happens when you click on this link.
http://www.google.ca/

Caperjack, I get the same results when I click on that link.
jingda, my Windows firewall is on and the Internet Options are set to block popups.I haven't tried another browser yet and I don't know how to "ping" a website.

oh, and the computer is up to date on it's Microsoft updates

Caperjack, I get the same results when I click on that link.
jingda, my Windows firewall is on and the Internet Options are set to block popups.I haven't tried another browser yet and I don't know how to "ping" a website.

go to start / in the search bos type in "cmd" click on it to open command prompt. type in. ping www.google.com, hit enter .

also check in internet options/security to make sure google is not in a block list

Google wasn't on the block list.
I didn't even see "unneeded files" setting in ccleaner.
I pinged google.com. Sent 4 packs, recieved 4 and lost zero.
As soon as I send this replay, I will download google chrome and let ya know how it turns out.

more bad news. When I clicked on the "google chrome" link above, I get the same results as if I'm trying to go on google.com

How about Firefox browser? Does it work too.

I have to get some sleep for work. I will download firefox tomorrow and let ya know the results . Thank you both for working we me !

When you wake up in the morning or have free time, try using other PC or laptops and see whether google.com is able to load. If yes, that means something is wrong with your laptop.

I downloaded FireFox and tried to go on the google page and here is my result.
Bad Request (Invalid Hostname)

I went on my desktop and it went right to google. This laptop, which I'm typing this on, runs perfect but it just won't go to google.com

So your desktop PC works but not your laptops. Try this

1) Open Command
2) Type ipconfig /flushdns

Reopen your browser and see whether that works. Delete all cookies and run ad aware. You have to ask other people on how to use ad aware in this case. Good luck.

So your desktop PC works but not your laptops. Try this

1) Open Command
2) Type ipconfig /flushdns

Reopen your browser and see whether that works. Delete all cookies and run ad aware. You have to ask other people on how to use ad aware in this case. Good luck.

Edit

Try this search link

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=bad+request+400

Ignore my first post, i accidentally submitted two replies

flushed dns
deleted cookies
ran Adware.
Nothing has helped yet.
I'm running Spybot Search and Destroy now. Will keep ya up to date.

Before you had this kind of problem, what did you do on your computer?
Sometimes you just had to backtrack what you're doing to correct the problem...

Also check the running program in Task Manager as well and kill process that is unneeded one by one and try google again on each process. Some programs sometimes do interfere with the internet and some website...

If that won't work. Try it on Safe Mode with Networking...

Try loading igoogle, see if that's help. Do you have any malware problems lately?

1)Can other browsers works?
2)Go update your systems for windows 7, block pop up blockers and ads as this may cause the problem.
3)Make sure firwall is turn on.
4)Do a ping test on Google and see how many packets of data are received and sent.

Thank for the info provided

Found the problem.
With the help of a computer guru friend of mine, we ran ComboFix and that showed what other spyware/antivirus programs wouldn't.
Before I could write down what the problem was, I uninstalled ComboFix and that erased the log that had the info I needed to report here. Sorry !
It was a toolbar that had went undetected that aparently was a virus.
Now I can go to Google on Internet Explorer and FireFox.
A big thanks to all who helped me war thru this problem !!!!!

Good to hear that, sorry we are unable to help you this time. By the way, what toolbar was that and did you find out how it got there in the first place?

I accidently uninstalled Combofix before I wrote down the name of that toolbar and I'm really sorry for that ! I think my son must have got it from facebook. I'm a bit shocked that Malwarebytes and adware didn't find it.
I really appreciate all your help and hope one day I can help you !

commented: See ya next time +10
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.