Folder name such as da12e5154f6b530007fd9e got automtically created in my system...

Can anyone please tell me why such folders get created and how can I delete it...

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Where is this folder being created at? For example, if it's in the system32 directory, or something, it's probably some windows nonsense that you shouldn't really bother with.

But if it's in like, MyDocuments for example, you might want to try running a virus scan against your system as there might be some weird creepy crawlies hiding around on your system that you need to get rid of.

You can also run a system diagnostic/monitoring tool provided by windows and look around to see what user/service created a folder with that name.

But other than that, can't tell you much more since this is somewhat common with some programs.

If you recently installed a service pack on your OS, this type of folder will be created in the %systemroot% folder/subfolder. The service pack installation process normally deletes this type of folder when the process has completed. If it doesnt, these folders are OK to delete, but before you do delete it, it would be helpful to know if this is the case.

If not a service pack, have you installed anything else recently. What is the create date of this folder?

This folder got created in my E:\
No I did not install any service pack CD
Created On: Wednesday, ‎July ‎06, ‎2011, ‏‎4:03:36 PM....

Actually I am not able to delete the folder
When I try to delete it....it tells that U need permission form So and So to perform anything on this folder...

but I have the admin rights....and that so and so is also some weird...check my attachment

even I dont know how did this folder get created in my system
Is it a virus??? as I tried to scan it...it showed no threats...and also one more thing the folder cannot be opened....

Can you right click on the folder then select "Take Ownership"? I have safely deleted a number of these folders on my D and E drive with no problem.

Can u tell me where does this Take ownership comes under....coz I could not find anything when I did right click
I am using Windows 7

Hey thanks Jim....I could delete the folder.....

Sorry. I always install these registry tweaks early in my Windows setup. I'd forgotten that this isn't available with a regular install. Here are the registry tweaks to install and remove the "Take Ownership" context menu command. Copy the blocks into files name AddTakeOwnership.reg and RemoveTakeownership.reg. Double click on the appropriate one depending on whether you want to add or remove.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas]
@="Take Ownership"
"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas\command]
@="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"
"IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas]
@="Take Ownership"
"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas\command]
@="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"
"IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"

And to remove

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas]

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas]

how to i see Take Ownership i cannot get take ownership when i right click on that folder

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.